Nose Leg Maintenance

SkyrangerRich

In the air? ground? or both?  The reason I ask is because I had a situation where a bolt started to slide out of where one of the two steering tie rods attach to the the machined steering block.  I noted it because of the condition you described, and, there was a "clicking" sound and feeling in my feet.  So, get underneath the plane and review where the two tie rods attach to the steering (nose wheel) block.

I ordered a new bolt, and applied loctite (I don't remember the loctite spec, I have a tube in the hangar, if it is helpful I can get the spec # to you when I next visit the plane).  As a precaution, I removed the #2 bolt (again attached to the steering tie rod) and applied loctite to that one as well.  The ground steering improved dramatically and I have added this check to my checklist.

18 hours ago, AGLyme said:

In the air? ground? or both?  The reason I ask is because I had a situation where a bolt started to slide out of where one of the two steering tie rods attach to the the machined steering block.  I noted it because of the condition you described, and, there was a "clicking" sound and feeling in my feet.

Both. I'm not getting a clicking sound, but would definitely describe it as now getting a bit "notchy". 

Will have a look at those bolts ASAP. 

Thanks for the reply. 

15 hours ago, WmInce said:

Unless you have already done this, suggest you read through the Flight Design Maintenance and Inspection Procedures Manual, page 4-68,  for the CTSW.

Thanks. I'll definitely do this. 

I found a pic of the condition... note the bolt "sagging"... fortunately, it is fairly long and there is still enough in the machined steering block to work.   The clicking feeling was the bolt sloshing around.  I learned that in the event of a failure, the other rod will provide backup... nonetheless, these bolts should be part of the pre-flight checklist.  The fix was a new bolt and locktite.   You may have a different setup in the SW, mine is an LS. If it is a bolt, it is a quick fix, if the rod requires replacement then you will have to fuss around with the procedures in the manual as WmInce described above due to tracking etc...  In my case, the Flight Design Dealer checked everything out, etc... and signed off on the fix.

1927876173_boltnosegear.thumb.jpg.147040e76b5b5bcba3435128d603a7fa.jpg

Hi. 

Popped down to hangar today to have a look at my steering. 

Found that the steering stop was positioned in such a way that if the tie rod rotated slightly on it's bush, the bolt on the stop would interfere with the engine frame and prevent steering to the left. There are witness marks on the frame where this seems to have happened already. Have rotated the stop to prevent this. 

Other thing I noticed is that the tie rod on the left hand side contacts the engine frame, have tried to take a picture. Rod on the other side is centered. 

That can't be right?

79051EBC-B74D-49A9-A6EC-7ED0C9380FFA.jpeg

Did the "Frame" somehow bend slightly in a rough landing?  Do your rod ends have the tell tale red ink? If so, are the nuts and bolts pulling away from each other? 

From what I gathered during my issue, if you start adjusting the rod ends, you risk the front wheel/rudder track getting out of balance.  Is there a FD Dealer nearby you can take the plane to ?  May want to ground it until you get a professional opinion.  Doesn't look right at all.