Garmin 696, GTX 335, and GDL 39

Garrett Gee

Well, after about 6 month of debating, I have finally completed the process of going experimental LSA.  I got in touch with a DAR and got it completed while my condition inspection was being completed.  My first change is going to be to remove the Garmin 696 with GDL 39 and a GTX 335 (fully ADS-B compliant) and replace it with a Garmin GNX 375 (and rebuild the center panel).  This will take the place of the GPS and Transponder, as well as enable WAAS capable approaches (not that I intend to fly low IFR with the CT, but nice to have the option in a bind).  Before I offer anywhere else, would anyone be interested in purchasing any or all of these?  Everything is in good, operational shape.  I can upload pictures or anything else if anyone would like?  Feel free to ask any questions about them if you are interested.

Note: The GTX 335 will not come with the antenna.

Garrett Gee

27 minutes ago, garrettgee2001 said:

Well, after about 6 month of debating, I have finally completed the process of going experimental LSA.  I got in touch with a DAR and got it completed while my condition inspection was being completed.  My first change is going to be to remove the Garmin 696 with GDL 39 and a GTX 335 (fully ADS-B compliant) and replace it with a Garmin GNX 375 (and rebuild the center panel).  This will take the place of the GPS and Transponder, as well as enable WAAS capable approaches (not that I intend to fly low IFR with the CT, but nice to have the option in a bind).  Before I offer anywhere else, would anyone be interested in purchasing any or all of these?  Everything is in good, operational shape.  I can upload pictures or anything else if anyone would like?  Feel free to ask any questions about them if you are interested.

Note: The GTX 335 will not come with the antenna.

Garrett Gee

Congratulations Garrett, on going E-LSA.

GNX 375 is a great choice.

Asking prices for replaced units?

Thanks!  I honestly have no idea on price for the 335, 696 and GDL 39.  I am going to include all manuals that I have, and the cradle and accessories for the 696.  I will do a little research, but I am thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500-$3000 for the whole lot, but I will certainly have to do a little more research before I commit to that.  I don't have the GNX 375 on order yet, but will do once I figure out if anyone is interested.

12 minutes ago, okent said:

This may be a silly question but can you go back to LSA/non-experimental later if you change your mind?  I figure it would require restoring everything back to original.

Legally possible . . . but highly unlikely.

I’ve been worried that going experimental will be challenging in its own right (paperwork/time), and that it might affect resale value (especially a concern since the bank still owns 80% of this thing).

So instead I’m registering for the 15-day Light sport repairman course with Rainbow Aviation. It’s $4k (not cheap), and I’m not looking forward to being in a classroom for 15 days straight. However, once done I’ll have some ability to tinker within the limits of whatever I can get FD-USA to sign off on with LOAs. That’s the thought at least.

Dream to do list: Garmin GPS175, Dynon Radio, Dynon Control panels for AP and bugs, alternator (I feel like I’m out of amps already...), yaw damper (not sure this would be worth the hassle, but I’m curious), maybe the heavier duty AP servos (Maybe it won’t tell me to adjust trim all the time), and somehow way more landing LIGHTING (I can see much on the ground at night, I’m missing taxiway turns).

Rainbows LSRM-A course is excellent and worth the expense. Took the course with Roger way back when.

You will be able to do most tasks on any S-LSA or E-LSA including inspections, unless specified otherwise by the manufacturer. You could even hang out a shingle.

If you went E-LSA all you would need is the 16 hour course but it would be specific to your own E-LSA. Most would be just fine with that.

You should also take, IMHO, the Rotax service, maintenance, and heavy maintenance classes. They aren't cheap either but take the service course as a minimum.

In 12 years of ownership I have recouped these expenses many times over as I am the only one who has worked on or signed off inspections on my plane. Scary, huh?

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by sandpiper
spelling

• 4 weeks later...

GNX 375 is in. Fully LPV approach capable. Not super happy with the aluminum job, but only had a jigsaw and a drill. Probably going to get SteinAir to cut me a custom center panel. Next step is an upgrade to the Vizion autopilot from TruTrak for fully coupled approaches.

The GNX is a very capable GPS for its size, and relatively affordable for experimental/light sport. Got a steep discount. After selling off the GTX and the GPS 696 and associated equipment, I will walk away for about $4000 all in.8B79BD82-A936-4B87-B770-787396457D07.thumb.jpeg.4a9c5c242feeb1b76af8fbc276b859dd.jpegAAE7EF97-A6AE-4E2A-B60D-03812887C58F.thumb.jpeg.6f9c566a7e76efb1dadad30d0c4c879f.jpeg

More to come!

1 hour ago, Duane Jefts said:

Love the LPV ability and the autopilot connectivity. I find the 796 very useful though. Are you using an IPad and ForeFlight or some other program for weather and flight publications and winds etc.? The gnx has a small screen. Do you still have xm radio?

Don’t currently have XM. I use an iPad with foreflight. The GNX has ADS-B in, and the Dynon also has the ADS-B module. Both of these stream to the iPad, plus all of the info can be accessed from both the Dynon and the garmin. It is all very well connected. And with the ARINC-429 module connected to the Dynons, the flight plan information is automatically transferred to the SkyView map. Connectivity wise, it is amazing. Lots of redundancy.