Parts availability

Vaughn

I recently purchased a new FD, therefore I had similar concerns as you are having now.  The Old Company's Assets were purchased by a well-healed German company.  The liabilities of the company were not purchased or transferred.  I like the fact that they have several markets and plane certifications in Europe, Asia and North America.  Selling new airplanes is an iffy profit making venture, but, FD, like all air-framers, make good profits on Parts Sales because they have a good sized installed base of Planes around the world (think HP Printer sales make zero profit, but, the follow-on black colored water sales are hugely profitable to HP).  FD parent is presently investing scads in the next generation of airplanes which is costly.   And, upgraded the CTSW with the injected engine, etc... When the F2 and F4 designs are frozen, the certs are awarded and the Plant gets its tooling, manufacturing plans and systems, FD will probably start investing heavily in marketing again...   All evidence I have seen post-bankruptcy sale points to a Company that is willing and able to invest in its future.  I believe all here invested in a brand for the ages.

That's good to hear Andy... I will be buying Parts soon at Annuals, etc... 

To put the airframe market health in perspective, here is a list in Wiki that reveals some airplane manufacturers who are no longer with us... For Example, Piper emerged from bankruptcy in 1995... a no-brainer since the Parts sales to Piper owners was/is a very good and profitable stand alone business... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Defunct_aircraft_manufacturers_of_the_United_States

I figured that a company (like Flight Design) who was fairly new, who had a good sized installed base of aircraft flying around the Globe, and who was "cleansed" of liabilities and debt post-bankruptcy, had a good chance of being financially sound for a long time... that was my thinking at the time of my purchase.