Strange "stall horn"-like sound

oceanplexian

Hey Guys,

I just got home from a fairly long XC (Portland Maine to Salt Lake City, Utah), and halfway back my '07 CTSW started making an alarming whining/squealing sound. Immediately I landed at the nearest airport, and right as I got into the flare the sound went away. I tried to recreate it after a high RPM runup, and a high speed taxi, and no luck. Decided to take off again and the sound was completely gone, until it came back again 2 hours later into the flight. I managed to take some videos:

Sound #1:

Before landing, I got up 5k ft. over an airport and let the airspeed drop a stall, to see if I could isolate the problem. Seems to have petered out right around stall.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before? Could it be a leak somewhere? Or something more concerning in the engine or gearbox? I managed to make it home safely and the sound has seemingly gone away. I pulled the cowling off and no oil leaks or anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks!
Andreas

Good call Bill.  The tape can cause an amazing amount of noise due to the "reed affect" as you say.  My CTSW was doing this during the winter.  Seemed to only do it when the plane was at a lower speed and crabbed condition (i.e., "landing").  Before I had a chance to change the tape, it stopped doing it when the tape softened and stuck to the wing with warm weather.  If it starts up this Fall/Winter, I'll replace it.