Dangling Pant skirt in flight

Andrew Lane

Thought i hit a divot or small pothole on takeoff at Tucson. Now I see my pant skirt is dangling. Told ATC to let TUS know there’s definitely something on their runway. Will tell MYF about it on arrival so they know I’ll need time and spacing, might pop a tire. I assume I’ll need to do a full flap slow approach and hope not to lose the tire or centerline.

DA1DFF1A-0F2E-4680-8112-1FB828D5E98F.jpeg

OK the loctite sounds like a good idea. But what I was wondering is what caused Andrew's wheel pant to come off in that manner. It does look like something hit it on the front left side but the configuration of it hanging on there is baffling. I am wondering if a screw was backed out or fiberglass tore or what might have caused it to hang on in the way that the picture shows. Had the wheel pants just been off and then put back on perhaps with a screw missing? Was there any torn out fiberglass remaining around the bolts or screws that would still be present around the screw holes if it tore itself from the screw when it hit something??

Knowing what happened might help us out on avoiding a similar situation.

Thanks,

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

🤙for using both loctite and torque seal John.  I also do both.  The other thing is don't use the rubber washers.  Throw them out and bolt solid with large stainless fender washer on inside and outside of wheel pant.  I form the washers to fit the surface of the pant.

8 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

🤙for using both loctite and torque seal John.  I also do both.  The other thing is don't use the rubber washers.  Throw them out and bolt solid with large stainless fender washer on inside and outside of wheel pant.  I form the washers to fit the surface of the pant.

x2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...