DPE SF Bay Area, California

johnnyjr

My CFI has started to reach out to local DPEs to schedule my checkride.  He has not found one that is comfortable completing a check ride in a CT, non of them have flown one and I think that is driving some reservation.

Does anyone have any information on DPEs in the SF Bay Area or Northern California?  Willing to travel if needed, hoping not to have to go too far.

Thank You,

Johnny

I did my private pilot check ride (in my CTLS) in San Diego with Barry Brocato. He’s also a pilot for American Airlines so perhaps his day job may take him up there. If not, it’s a beautiful 4hr flight down here to San Diego. If you come down, let’s get a picture of our birds together! His email is: barry767@cox.net

Unfortunately the CT like many other LSA are looked at by people in mainstream aviation as ultralights. And the damn sure don't want anything to do with ultralights. Once they get a chance to fly one and realize that they are real viable airplanes they are okay with them. I once had a DPE who flew charter into my airport. I talked him into doing a flight review for me in my CT. He spent more time flying the airplane than I did, and he came away with a whole different opinion on the airplane.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/24/2019 at 4:43 AM, Andrew Lane said:

I did my private pilot check ride (in my CTLS) in San Diego with Barry Brocato. He’s also a pilot for American Airlines so perhaps his day job may take him up there. If not, it’s a beautiful 4hr flight down here to San Diego. If you come down, let’s get a picture of our birds together! His email is: barry767@cox.net

Spoke with Barry today, local options have slimmed down to just 2, 1 is busy with a corp jet job till August and the other has a failure rate I'm not interested in testing.  Barry sounds like a great guy and remembered you by name as soon as I mentioned the CT.  Planning to schedule for late March, sounds like a trip to SoCal is closer than I thought.