Please Stop Using Gates Fuel Hose

Arian

A customer came to me about a year ago with a fuel flow issue on his CTSW.  One of the hoses which come from the downpipe from the wing had kinked.  I hadn't seen that before, and put a spring inside the hose as a temporary repair.  His hose change has arrived, and during replacement, I found that the Gates fuel hose is very susceptible to kinking compared to the DIN spec hose which Flight Design uses.  The particular hose that was installed is the Gates Barricade Greenshield.  Photos show the comparison between the hoses.  The Gates hose kinks very easily, while the stock hose can actually have a lot more force applied to it before it will kink (and it doesn't kink entirely unless you clamp it that way).

hoses on fitting.jpg

hoses looped.jpg

4 hours ago, LS Bruce said:

Thanks FD USA, you convinced me !!!

Please share with us the manufacturer, DIN spec, and a USA supplier?

The DIN spec and hose sizes are in the parts and assembly manual for the airplane. I've never been a fan of the Gates hose. I have used the OEM Wurth hose, BMW V fuel hose, and the hose supplied by Flight Design USA. All three of those work well. Airtime Aviation has the OEM hose shipped in from Europe, but it is a little expensive. The Flight Design USA hose is less expensive. I just used some on a hose change on a CTLS, and it worked well. I have been using the V fuel hose for a while. I am seeing some second generation airplanes come through, and the hose coming off is still in good shape. I do use some 1/4" Gates hose in a few places, but no place where it has to make a tight radius where fuel flow will be disrupted. 

As a side note Rotax used to use Gates hoses on thier fuel pumps that were supplied with hoses installed, but I'm not sure if that specific hose is available anymore.