Bought CTsw, Cross Country Home, & Intro to Forum

GrassStripFlyBoy

Greetings CT Fliers,

Have been lurking here a while, recently joined , and now that I've bought a 2006 CTsw I'm making myself known.  First - let me say I've found tremendous value in the content of this group, and look forward to being an active participant.  Based out of my private field 4MI8 about 60 miles north of Detroit, I've been flying a C-150 the last 20 years and after looooong consideration, picked the CTsw as my next adventure, plan to keep it equally long time.

The search for bird settled on N305CT, and bought through Tulsa Tom & son at Airtime.  I typically lean towards direct private party sales in most things of life, (used cars, etc), but I will say I had an excellent process working with them.  From the intro, to the doing the deal, supporting the 2 hours transition training with local CFI (AIG insurance required that of me), and even facilitated a DAR to be on site to convert to E-SLA that same day.  In the course of 7 hours I went from arriving on scene, to being a proud owner ready to depart the next morning.

The flight from Tulsa to Michigan had amazing tailwinds at low altitudes, so flew 5.5k on NE heading direct home, ranged from 150 to 160 K ground speeds, that was a treat from coming out a C-150 I'd plan 92K plus winds.  First couple hours were CAVU and easy going, then north of me around Missouri a strong area of heavy convective blew up.  Diverted more easterly and made a stop at IL/IN boarder, topped tanks, and determined with these tail winds I'd get around the storm and be home 2-3 hours before forecasted line crossed my airport.  Went direct for about 2 hours more, so around 5.5 hours flight time for 750nm trip, probably 800 with the dogleg around the weather.  The winds were kicking 17 G23 on the first stop in IL, presenting about 30 degree crosswind.  That sure had me aware I'm in a light sport, in my C-150 I'd do these winds and not be nervous.  Having less than 10 hours in a CTsw I played it safe, long runway, kept some power (cracked throttle ~ 1/4"), and had a major balloon when nearing 5' off - so powered up and went around.  Next approach same set up, and "flew it" on the main, danced the rudders, got on brakes quick, then "flew it" to the fuel pump.  Next hop to MI had same strong surface winds, so with my strip being a 9/27, I put it at county airport with a 18/36 and had my first grass strip touch down right into the wind, felt good.  I'll admit I was a lazy C-150 pilot, 20 years became sort of like driving a car - jump in a go without thinking.  The CTsw has me feeling excited again, practicing correct taxi / wind flight control inputs, and excited to learn the performance capabilities of what this fine design is.

I won't expand on my thoughts for E-SLA plans at this time, focused on flying and having fun while weather remains decent here.  My bird has basic panel (and I'm mostly good with that - I fly to look out the window), but will address ADS-B, add minimal glass and instruments (thinking Garmin G5), attend classes on E-SLA & Rotax next year, and have as much fun hanger flying it as I do up in the air!

Regards, Darrell

3 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Greetings CT Fliers,

Have been lurking here a while, recently joined , and now that I've bought a 2006 CTsw I'm making myself known.  First - let me say I've found tremendous value in the content of this group, and look forward to being an active participant.  Based out of my private field 4MI8 about 60 miles north of Detroit, I've been flying a C-150 the last 20 years and after looooong consideration, picked the CTsw as my next adventure, plan to keep it equally long time.

The search for bird settled on N305CT, and bought through Tulsa Tom & son at Airtime.  I typically lean towards direct private party sales in most things of life, (used cars, etc), but I will say I had an excellent process working with them.  From the intro, to the doing the deal, supporting the 2 hours transition training with local CFI (AIG insurance required that of me), and even facilitated a DAR to be on site to convert to E-SLA that same day.  In the course of 7 hours I went from arriving on scene, to being a proud owner ready to depart the next morning.

The flight from Tulsa to Michigan had amazing tailwinds at low altitudes, so flew 5.5k on NE heading direct home, ranged from 150 to 160 K ground speeds, that was a treat from coming out a C-150 I'd plan 92K plus winds.  First couple hours were CAVU and easy going, then north of me around Missouri a strong area of heavy convective blew up.  Diverted more easterly and made a stop at IL/IN boarder, topped tanks, and determined with these tail winds I'd get around the storm and be home 2-3 hours before forecasted line crossed my airport.  Went direct for about 2 hours more, so around 5.5 hours flight time for 750nm trip, probably 800 with the dogleg around the weather.  The winds were kicking 17 G23 on the first stop in IL, presenting about 30 degree crosswind.  That sure had me aware I'm in a light sport, in my C-150 I'd do these winds and not be nervous.  Having less than 10 hours in a CTsw I played it safe, long runway, kept some power (cracked throttle ~ 1/4"), and had a major balloon when nearing 5' off - so powered up and went around.  Next approach same set up, and "flew it" on the main, danced the rudders, got on brakes quick, then "flew it" to the fuel pump.  Next hop to MI had same strong surface winds, so with my strip being a 9/27, I put it at county airport with a 18/36 and had my first grass strip touch down right into the wind, felt good.  I'll admit I was a lazy C-150 pilot, 20 years became sort of like driving a car - jump in a go without thinking.  The CTsw has me feeling excited again, practicing correct taxi / wind flight control inputs, and excited to learn the performance capabilities of what this fine design is.

I won't expand on my thoughts for E-SLA plans at this time, focused on flying and having fun while weather remains decent here.  My bird has basic panel (and I'm mostly good with that - I fly to look out the window), but will address ADS-B, add minimal glass and instruments (thinking Garmin G5), attend classes on E-SLA & Rotax next year, and have as much fun hanger flying it as I do up in the air!

Regards, Darrell

If your CT is a SLSA, I recommend taking the 3 week LSRM-A class so you can do your own annuals and maintenance. I installed a G5 and love it. For ADSB I recommend the Garmin GDL 82 if your transponder is compatible.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:51 AM, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Greetings CT Fliers,

Have been lurking here a while, recently joined , and now that I've bought a 2006 CTsw I'm making myself known. . . . . . 

Regards, Darrell

Congratulations, Darrell.

You are off on the right foot and have a very capable cross country machine. Under those landing conditions, you were smart to do a go-around and try it again. That says a lot about you. Good job and well done!

Welcome to the forum as a new owner.😎

Welcome aboard! I ferried my plane home from California in July and had the trip of my lifetime! I just hit 78 hours and have my checkride scheduled for next week. Theres tons of information on these boards and tons of people willing to help so don't be afraid to ask. Also, I am out of CGF in Cleveland and wouldn't mind meeting up sometime!

Hi Darrell.  Welcome.  Not far from you at KYIP in Ypsilanti, MI.  I've got a CTSW and my friend, Phil, keeps his CTLS here at KYIP also.  Give me a call sometime and maybe we could stop by and visit your grass strip!  Or, stop by and see us.  KYIP is a good sized airport but not used much and ATC people are friendly.  The bomber plant built B-17's here for WWII.

Greetings Dick - yeah I noticed you're close, welcome to stop in anytime - runway is ~1800', 27 approach is simply avoid trees, the easterly 9 approach does have wires at the road but are 800' beyond start of runway.  Perhaps when there is a nice day in next week or so, us local fella's could make a loose formation color tour run up the state.  586 876-7071 cell

Darrell, I'll give you a call.  Phil and I are always going flying.  I assume your strip isn't shown on the chart?  What is nearest charted airport and how far and direction are you from this?

AG Lyme, I mistakenly said the plant built B-17's.  It built B-24's.  The Willow Run bomber plant turned out 8,685  B-24's at a rate of one per hour which is an amazing build rate .  There were over 40,000 workers who ran the plant on a 24/7 schedule and the planes went down two parallel one mile long assembly lines.  The plant was demolished a few years ago but the Yankee Air Force was able to save the final assembly building and is making this a museum.  They have a B-17, a B-25 and a C-46 which they give rides in thru the year.  Jack Roush also keeps his  Mustangs here and occasionally flies them.  There have been times that I have been able to fly along with the B-17 in my CTSW when it takes passengers up.  I'll go high and watch it majestically cruise over the countryside which allows me to reflect on all those Great American heroes going on their bombing missions during the war.  The sound of these old bombers with those huge P&W radial engines is unmistakable.  Here's a good video of the plant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2zukteYbGQ

I toured the Collins’ B24 (and a B25, and, sadly the B17 that crashed in CT recently) a few weeks ago... my Pal’s (who went with me) Dad was a B24 Captain... amazing planes all... so Willow Run was right there ??? a mile long ? Damn that is amazing.  You are lucky to be based there.  Impressive history... Thx

• 1 month later...

Were you able to keep the "Light Sport" logo on the doors when you converted to E-LSA? I understand you need the 2 inch "EXPERIMENTAL" Label visible to anyone entering the cockpit, but that can be placed inside the airplane in a visible location. I'm not sure if the "Light Sport" label can stay on the door or not.

Rob

Nope, the "Light Sport" decals are removed from door, and "EXPERIMENTAL" placed in same location.  Additionally the screen printed placard on the panel was removed and replaced accordingly as well, that is it as far as physical changes go on the aircraft.  The new special airworthiness cert is a full sheet 8.5"x11" and two pages, I'll be folding them in half, and have recently located a proper size U-Line document holder for that, I did not want to fold it 2X and stuff in the smaller document holder.

The DAR provided lots of other details, about condition inspections going forward and proper logbook entries, that I won't spell out in detail - but important to understand one follows the FAR's correctly.  High level here is don't state "airworthy", but refer to the "condition inspection performed per the scope and detail of part 43..."  Lastly, he was very clear to never refer to the type as a Flight Design or CTSW when communicating with ATC, it is an "experimental" and "light sport".  Upon my return flight home I'd state "experimental N305CT" for call sign, and often would get quizzed back what type, to which I'd say "light sport", which would then again prompt, what type...  although in fairness I had 45k tail wind moving me 160k ground speed at that time.  I will be contacting DAR on this to clarify further.

Darrell, the proper type when quizzed by ATC is “FDCT” — Foxtrot Delta Charlie Tango.  In the FAA’s type catalog this will come up as “Flight Design CT”.

When I ask for flight following, somewhere in the communication I’ll say something like “type identifier is Foxtrot Delta Charlie Tango”.  That will give them what they need.

like you, I say “Experimental N509CT”, but that is a very broad category, and a lot of times ATC wants to know your performance, and they want the type identifier so they know not to, for example, request you climb to 16,500ft and maintain 200kt or greater.  :D