Panel Reconfiguration

johnnyjr

I'm strongly considering reconfiguring my panel, keeping the same instruments just moving them to better locations.  The current layout is a very inefficient use of space, my com radio and Dynon D10 are in the left panel, with a RAM mount holding my 696 off to the side, center panel has back up ASI, ALT, VSI and Slip/Skid Ball, right panel houses my xponder, FLYdat, breakers and warning lights.  My goal is to get the backup gauges into the right panel with my D10, keep the RAM mount by repurpose for my ipad, move the 696, xponder and com into the center panel and leave only the FLYdat, breakers and warning light in the left panel.

Question is as long as a qualified person preforms this, do we need approval from FD to reconfigure the panels.

• 2 months later...

I've started down the path of my panel update.  Thought I would share my progress so far with the forum.  Including some picture below of my take on rendering the before and after as well as some shots of the laser cut templates and actual raw aluminum panels.

To start off the intent was to re-organize my panel for better flow and use of space.  This required ditching the original analog gauges and adding a D100 to the mix.  I wanted to get my 696 off the RAM mount and into the panel as well.  I'll send updates on the progress as it starts coming together.

1767801434_ScreenShot2019-12-16at10_06_21AM.thumb.png.b5958d3af38bdbe5c61c3c0dc622c2e1.png

546342200_ScreenShot2019-12-16at10_07_28AM.thumb.png.b4a74ae981a46d30940d6dbd811a640a.pngIMG_0470.thumb.JPG.eba20688a2d5e036bb07fd4e6433c282.JPGIMG_6727.thumb.JPG.acad251257358bdb37557b9ccd96febe.JPG

Hey Johnny,

Planning similar project on my CT as well.  In fact, just yesterday I ordered a PC driven laser engraver to etch the panel markings & placards on the new layout - will post how that process pans out once I have it up and running.  Providing I can achieve some nice markings, I might be willing to assist on that step if timing works.  As far as what you're showing here, my 2 cents is it seems glass panels also retain analog back up for airspeed/altimeter/VSI.  I know you have the portable 696 to augment the Dynons, but be aware GPS ground speed is not the same as airspeed indication.  

I went through this with FDUSA when filing the MRA and the fact is that with the D10A and D100, both with fresh battery backup I have the required back up instruments needed.  In this configuration the D100 is the master and the D10A is the back up (note the D10A has integrated compass, not as accurate as the remote mount, but sufficient as a back up.  I've attached the MRA, you will see a reference to the the "Instrument Panel Block Diagram" . This diagram is included here.

Dynon D100 - panel reconfiguration copy.pdf

2139499376_ScreenShot2019-12-16at10_07_28AM.thumb.png.ae0f256e30e01a3f418c688cdd334458.png

Do you see this differently Darrell?  Would love some additional feedback.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some photos of the progress so far. Plane is with the LSRM getting the condition inspection, engine service, new tires and tubes, and other misc. items as well as fixing some fuel leaks in the wings. Heading back Friday to install the panels and avionics. Also spent a considerable amount of time cleaning up the rats nest of wires behind the panel. Night and day from where it started. 

Before panels go in I need to add the placards, shift the heat controls up about 3/4 inch,  install the breakers and run a check to make sure everything is functioning correctly. 

D0A65828-B9E6-49BB-B9B8-9AD77260C883.jpeg.7102b1742fec99934d421b87c90421a9.jpeg