Swivel bearing in the Wing Mount #3

ibjet

I have a worn spherical ball in Wing Mount #3, WA2010030, on my left wing. That is the one that the aileron inboard mount pivots on.

QUESTION: Does anyone have a part number/source for that swivel bearing?

I hope to buy one (or a few) and press out the old one, press in the new one (I'll make up a tool to push out the old, push in the new).  

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would add that Flight Design does stock the swivel bearings separately and they are quite reasonably priced ($5 something each). Arian let me know that is a very tiny spacer used there too which they do not have in stock. I ordered 3 of the bearings and today I ground down a 5/8 open end wrench so I can get to the head of that special screw there. I do at least one more post when I replace the bearing. 

🙂 ET

Got the bearings from Flight Design yesterday. I went out and made up a bearing push out tool by using a large C clamp and 2 sockets, ha ha. The problem is getting everything lined up, but I used clear tape to hold the sockets in place while I positioned and tightened the C clamp. 

I got a scare when the bearing finally moved because it popped out with a load bang like an explosion! The bearing outer race is carbon fiber and the inner race is some specialty plastic so it is remarkably light.

I ordered Loctite 480 to bond them in. Hope that's correct, it is black and for non-metallic materials.  

Sharing a few pictures . . . 

73030722_10217668366713247_1299189635234136064_n.jpg

74379769_10217668366433240_968633258323476480_n.jpg

75339706_10217668366073231_7696164207078670336_n.jpg

I got notice that my Loctite 480 is in my mail box, but did not undertake the application yet. I tried to find out if it is meant to wick in or if you would apply it like a normal bearing/bushing retaining compound (apply to the entrance to the bore and then slip the bearing in). Of course, that wouldn't work with "crazy glue" (which Loctite 480 is similar to). I think I will apply to the bore and try to slip the bearing in. If it jams up, I'll press it out and go with Tom's method above. Thank you Tom Baker for sharing your technique! I have the stuff to try that also. So, I'll do one more post to advise. Thanks for all the input guys!

ET 

7 hours ago, ibjet said:

I got notice that my Loctite 480 is in my mail box, but did not undertake the application yet. I tried to find out if it is meant to wick in or if you would apply it like a normal bearing/bushing retaining compound (apply to the entrance to the bore and then slip the bearing in). Of course, that wouldn't work with "crazy glue" (which Loctite 480 is similar to). I think I will apply to the bore and try to slip the bearing in. If it jams up, I'll press it out and go with Tom's method above. Thank you Tom Baker for sharing your technique! I have the stuff to try that also. So, I'll do one more post to advise. Thanks for all the input guys!

ET 

My method is as you described. I coated the bore and the bearing race. the bolt, washers, and o-rings were just to protect the bearing from getting glue in it. It also makes it easier to handle the bearing while you are installing it.

Also make sure you move the metal spacer from the old bearing to the new bearing. if you tighten the bolt up without the spacer it will swell the inner sleeve and cause the bearing to bind.

I applied the Loctite 480 this afternoon. I was not sure if I could slip the bearing in without the Loctite freezing it up (like crazy glue would), but I noticed there was a peal label on the bottle and there hidden away was the simple instructions: 1. Apply a coat of Loctite sparingly to one item. 2. Assemble . . . 3. Clamp . . . 4. Allow to cure . . . So, I applied a thin coat to the Wing Mount #3 with a Q tip and then slipped the bearing into the bore. I made sure that the outer race was flush or below on both sides. And then I cleaned up a tiny bit of Loctite that got on the Mount. I did get a tiny bit of Loctite 480 on my fingers and it does not wash off readily!

Tom, your method sounds great! I thought you relied on wicking, which might work anyway with your method, just hard to make sure that the Loctite wets the whole mating surface.  

With my method the bearing was installed just like you did it. The washers and orings are a smaller diameter than the outer race, they just keep from getting glue where it doesn't belong. An added bonus is that there is a place to hold the bearing and it helps keep from getting glue on your fingers.