CTLSi Rubber Replacment Quote

Andy A

My CTLSi is going in for an annual in the next few weeks and is also due for its first rubber replacement.  The A&P said it should take about 25 to 30 hours.  I have heard it is a lot more complex than it sounds, but was wondering if this sounds about right?  I don't know his rate, but I am assuming its around $100/hour, putting the cost at $2,500 to $3,000 plus parts.  I wasn't sure if the fuel injected version would be more or less expensive than the carbureted version.  Does anybody have any advice here?

24 minutes ago, Animosity2k said:

Not to thread hijack but what is the time frame on the rubber replacement. Also have an annual due next month and want to see if I still need to get it done. 

The rubber replacement is a 5 year item. it would be coming due for airplanes built in 2014. If it was built prior to that it should have already been done.

On 10/10/2019 at 1:50 PM, Andy A said:

My CTLSi is going in for an annual in the next few weeks and is also due for its first rubber replacement.  The A&P said it should take about 25 to 30 hours.  I have heard it is a lot more complex than it sounds, but was wondering if this sounds about right?  I don't know his rate, but I am assuming its around $100/hour, putting the cost at $2,500 to $3,000 plus parts.  I wasn't sure if the fuel injected version would be more or less expensive than the carbureted version.  Does anybody have any advice here?

Mine, done a year ago (CTLSi), was about $3,000 more than my normal annual cost.  This included parts.  Given what was involved, I thought this was a very fair price.

Andy

Andy,

Posted before, here it is again... I was at the FD Woodstock facility recently and Arian was working on a rubber replacement job.  This photo is lacking in all of the amazing amount of activity of replacing "rubber", which evidently is pretty much everywhere.  The $ estimates listed in this string do not surprise me after looking at the job first hand.

I view the "rubber replacement job" as a two-fer.  The A&P is literally reviewing the entire plane.  Solid peace of mind.

Rubber.jpg

4 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Tom does this HAVE to be done to be airworthy? I'll check the logs on the CT I purchased when I get off work. It is a 2012. 

There are varying opinions on whether it is a legal requirement or not. Based on my experience while 5 years might be a bit conservative it is something that should be done.

The first time the rubber hose replacement issue hit this forum big time was when the 2006/2007 CTSW's were 5 years old. At the time it was thought that using fuel injection fuel hoses on the ULS engines was the way to go. Then, several people started having loss of power issues and there was small rubber debris in the float bowls. So, someone I know decided to replace everything except the fuel hoses and to wait until the fuel hose issue was settled. Turned out the fuel injection hoses were too hard for use on barbed fittings. Particles of rubber were being shaved off and turned up in the float bowls eventually to be sucked up against the jet thus interfering with the fuel flow. Loss of power to about 4000 RPM was the usual result which was corrected (until the next time) when the the throttle was closed allowing the piece to drop away. 

It took a while for this issue to be resolved so this person, who replaced all except fuel hoses, decided to wait for the second 5 year hose change. Then, just when the second 5 year change was about due, his engine lost power on climb out, throttle was closed, power was restored, and rubber debris was found in the float bowls

The purpose of this post is to reinforce Tom's post that although 5 years may be conservative, these hoses do need to be changed.

And, to be perfectly clear, just like the BRS, when time is up, plane is to be grounded although in the case of the BRS there is a provision for "ferry" flights.

Plan for these expenses and do the work when it is supposed to be done. One way to save some money on this, and other maintenance/inspections, is to take the three week course to get your LSRM-A. Yes, it is expensive, about $4K plus expenses and possibly time away from work. But, you will recoup this investment and learn all about your aircraft. In my case, with 12 years of ownership, I have saved a ton of money.