Front gear noise 2007 CTSW

DaManMP

Hello!

I’m wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their CTSW. The front gear has started to make a “thunk” nose while moving on the ground. I was able to narrow down the source to where the lower arm holding the wheel, connects to the upper arm. I can especially here the noise shifting the front gear side to side. Is this a sign that something has worn out...or normal? Almost feels like a sloppy shock on a car. 

thanks for any advice in advance!

@AGLyme thanks for the response. I read through the post, I’m not sure that is my issue but I will check the next time I’m out at the hangar. When I grasp the spot when the lower tube is inserted into the upper tube (under the fairing) and rock it side to side, I feel the irregular movement and click noise coming from that spot. There is also a ring at the end of the upper tube that feel like it’s moving as well. I’ll see if I can get a pick next time I go out. 

In my experience... loctite was not applied to a critical screw... and the screw ultimately pulled out of the machined part - and bent -- the screw (bolt) is fairly long.  As I was steering, I would feel with my feet and hear a "clicking" sound.  A new bolt was replaced with loctite and the problem was solved.  However, that area of the plane is inspected thoroughly during pre-flight for now on.  May want to call FD in Woodstock or some of the experts here on this site of which there are a few legitimate FD-whisperers.  You will find it.

@Tom BakerActually I think you might be right about both. When I was pushy the assembly side to side, it seem like there was a little two much play/movement in the bearings on the bolt. Its going in for its annual hopefully this week so I'll find out here shortly and report back. Just didnt want to fly her if there was a possibility the nose gear would collapse or seize.