What rpm corresponds to 10-20% power?

okent

I'd suggest bouncing this question off of your instructor, as he will likely know what the examiner he's sending you to is expecting to hear.  I don't view engine RPM on landing as a "set" figure, there was a phrase I learned in training - "pitch plus power equals performance".  Airports have different pattern altitudes, wind requires more input to maintain ground speed, etc, there are variables at play (maybe you have to extend your downwind leg to allow traffic to clear runway).  I think if you answered this question with an awareness of reasons why power is variable, and as needed to fly the desired approach, you'll be viewed better than simply saying set power to X rpm.  How have you been trained up to this point, regarding power setting?  Do you pull engine to idle, or do you crack a bit of power in it, and how much?  All that said, I pull power to idle, and then if sight picture has me trending lower around base & final I feed some in, simply use the power needed to maintain airspeed and rate of decent.

Thanks everyone.  I was up late going through everything so I missed in the AOI where it talks about this.  It says 10-20% power is just above idle, this confirms the engine is running.

It's not so much about the checkride as it is nailing down the recommendations.  I usually go to idle abeam but like more than one option in the bag of tricks.

I hate asking a question that is found in the book.  Thanks for your patience and expertise.

Tom

On 10/20/2019 at 10:18 AM, Tom Baker said:

I always taught and used power to idle abeam the numbers. never had an issue with an applicant on a checkride. By the way if 0% is the engine not running then idle would be in the 10 to 20% range.

This is what I do.  It kind of depends on your pattern size; I run a very close pattern and my base-to-final turn is only about 1/4 mile or even less from the end of the runway if traffic permits.

If you run a significantly longer final you might want to carry more power.