Have no choice

Mark Alison

Im buying me a Flight Design aircraft CTSW or CTSL  ….hopefully in the next couple weeks......anyway I don't have the money to store it in a hanger at my airport( which really breaks my heart)...At my airport Stennis Airport which is 1 mile away ill be looking at 460 a month..... and about 40 minutes away at another airport im looking at 340 a month….and both need a years contract...ugh...but anyway a spot to tie it down at my airport is 60 a month and I can afford that.  I'm going to buy covers for the entire aircraft.  im a fanatic about my vehicles and all my playtoys…. so what is the best soap to use to wash it and what is the best wax to use to keep it nice and shiny and protected. And is there anything I need to be careful of when washing and doing maintenance ?  

Thanks everybody for your input.. I'm always looking for alternative ways to keep it covered so we'll see what might present itself..... but for now its going to be covered by a made cover...and a partner is not looking like a option at the moment....so the plan is to keep it clean and waxed and covered and use it as much as possible to build up some hours...Im a student pilot at the moment which is my fault..my father was willing to pay for my pilots license when I was in school but I was to busy chasing something else lol..iv flown all my life with my father but know I'm paying to get my license myself...which he reminds me all the time now and he is getting the biggest kick out of ...lol  

I saw a FD not too long ago... it was kept outside for most if not all of its life.  It looked terrible.  

With that said, Bruce's Covers makes covers for the FD.  I had one made, it's slick.  search for wax on this site, there are some very helpful strings.

I agree 100% Sandp...  I would never own a composite plane, CT or any other composite plane, if I had to leave it outside.  I would buy a very old and very cheap metal plane and wax it - often.   It is no secret that the Sun is cryptonite for composite material.  I am fortunate to live near the FD HQ in Woodstock and as such I visit often.  I see the older CT's in the shop and the ones that are cared for are in excellent shape.  The ones that are not cared for are not.  No different than the good old metal variety.  I included a photo of my cover made by Bruce's.  It does the job for the cabin for sure, well constructed.  Not a long term solution in my opinion.

Cover.jpg

For what it's worth I purchased a CTsw a few months back and my hanger options were none at the local field 5 mins from home within a couple years due to the waiting list or a 45 min (without traffic, 1 hour plus with) drive to a free hanger.  I opt'd for a tie down 5 mins away and a full set of Bruce covers (prop, wings, fuse and emp).  Granted this is not the best solution, but with only the lower fuse and landing gear uncovered I think it'll do to keep the CT in as good of shape as I can.  Every other flight I wipe her down and apply Composiclean spray wax.  I'll do a proper buff/wax every year before the summer as well.

Not everyone can afford a hanger, and at $400 a month, it's just about $5K per year.  I don't feel (and I might be wrong) that the depreciation will be greater than the hanger costs.  Obviously there are other benefits to a hanger, but for the cost and my personal wants I opt'd close to home and covers.

Mark, another option is to ask around your home airport about someone with bigger hangar that isn't totally full that would consider letting you sublet.  I know that is what a few guys do here at KRVS.  I'd be surprised if there isn't someone who could help you out.

oh yeah okent.....I thought about asking around to see if someone has some room in their hanger and split the cost...still working on it.   yeah Johnny..if i end up having to keep it outside ill have covers made for every part..might take me 30 minutes to get it all uncovered ..lol... but that's ok ...also i have a orbital buffer (the good one not the 100.00 dollar ones) and I used to buff cars when I was young ..I have a Black 2014 Ford Raptor and it gets buffed at least once a month not including the details in between. so keeping something cleaned and waxed is not a problem. if it comes to that.

21 hours ago, sandpiper said:

I will probably get flamed for saying this but here goes. If your new plane needs to live outside I would consider buying an older metal plane instead of a CT. There, I said it.:apology-1312:

Concur totally.

9 hours ago, Mark Alison said:

I know you guys are right .....thinking about getting a second job to pay for the hanger...lol...that is one of my plans is to get her in a hanger before to long...always looking for a way to put it inside ...maybe a option will present itself.

Check with the FBO or the major international airport if you have one. I keep mine at the FBO, next to the $50 million jet. It's so small, they just fit it in. It feels awesome to call them up and tell them "pull out my plane and fill 'er up please." $190 a month. There international airport is $120 a month for a T, but you have to go through all these classes which I haven't found time to do.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:46 AM, Mark Alison said:

oh yeah okent.....I thought about asking around to see if someone has some room in their hanger and split the cost...still working on it.   yeah Johnny..if i end up having to keep it outside ill have covers made for every part..might take me 30 minutes to get it all uncovered ..lol... but that's ok ...also i have a orbital buffer (the good one not the 100.00 dollar ones) and I used to buff cars when I was young ..I have a Black 2014 Ford Raptor and it gets buffed at least once a month not including the details in between. so keeping something cleaned and waxed is not a problem. if it comes to that.

Mark, once you install and remove the covers a few times you'll get to 5 mins off 10 to 15 on depending the wind.  Here is my order of operations to put them on.  Tail and Emp first, cockpit cover second so it overlaps the emp cover, downwind wing (always the pain point), upwind wing.  Removal in opposite order to keep them stacked properly for install.  The wing covers are the ones that are difficult, especially the downwind wing since the wing wants to blow it off.  Once you're settled in let me known and I'll take a video of the process.   Or we could get on a call and I'll talk you through it, but it's best to do it after you've tried it yourself so the directions are familiar to you.

It's really not as bad as one would think, especially on calm days.

No CTSleepy its not Sandy at least to my knowledge ...but that's definitely something to think about and to look out for ...  thnx Johnny ill definitely need to get some kind of rhythm in putting it on and off... ill let you know when I get one.  Im hoping a hanger option presents itself but im just trying to line up my options...iv got a few ideas lined up so im hoping they come through..