Removing Exhaust Springs

GrassStripFlyBoy

Sizing up the install of a Reiff preheat system, to gain more access for the engine heater element (placed on bottom of case) I think I'll remove the pilot side exhaust tube.  Wondering what tip or tool for removing the exhaust springs?  I searched "exhaust springs" and "removing exhaust" and nothing much was noticed for technique here.  My collection of CirClip pliers and such does not look to have the extension length, nor did a search on these on general web locate much beyond the auto drum brake specific stuff.  I'd like to invest in a dedicated tool as I expect to encounter the springs beyond this project.  Appreciate the help here.  Regards, Darrell

Part 2 here, go back out to the hanger and appears a simple screwdriver "flip" will get them off?  Looking at the passenger side I found both springs have no tension on them, just swimming on the safety wire.  The weldments on header are not perpendicular to the tube as the pilot side appears, so now I'm also looking for input on tidying up "bent and short distance" on spring attachments, or am I looking at a new header tube?  Thanks, Darrell

Springs off, ground some slots on an old pair of pliers and was straightforward enough, but may still pursue a dedicated tool such as large reverse opening pliers.

So, now the only question in this thread remains what about "deformed" spring mounts, and dealing with weak spring tension?  

Thanks, Darrell

I use safety wire. I take a make a small loop around a #2 phillips screw driver and twist the wire up about a inch to inch and a half. I make a bigger loop around a 3/8" extension. I have several in different lengths. This will get most of them. Sometimes they are on in the wrong direction for this to work, and I use a screw driver slid through the hook and pull it down and off. 

Also leading Edge has 2 different lengths of stainless springs that will catch most applications. 

I like the safety wire technique, the loop would be rather secure on the spring, whereas the LEAF hook type puller could be a wicked snag hitting something if it slipped off.  Cord loop equally appealing, will give these a try.  I'm currently looking at the 56mm shorter length springs that are slack, I think I'm facing straightening the attachments, but fear if I bend them back straight it may weaken them, or worse - fatigue / break?  Perhaps cut & TIG would be the plan?