How Did You Update Your Center Stack Upgrade & ADS-B

TheFrisco

So here is the current panel setup, good 2008 setup, mostly works except the HS34. Being new to this plane and flying in general, but very much someone that likes, uses and works in tech, I remain VERY CONFUSED with the aviation options out there. So I thought I start a thread here asking WHAT'S A GOOD REPLACEMENT SETUP FOR THE CENTER STACK?

So here are my questions ...

• What about the integrated GPS/COM stack? Do I need 2 or do I get away with 1 Garmin 530 for example?
  • What do I get with a newer GPS compared to my ForeFlight Sentry WAAS setup?
  • Is there integrated units that do Transponder/GPS/COM all in one?
  • What abilities do I loose with just adding one of the wireless light ADS-B solutions?
  • And lastly, ForeFlight/Sentry has more features, and is easier to use than all the above. So how does that influence your decisions and choices?

I am so curious to hear and see, please SHARE PICS of your updated stacks, especially with the ADS-B mandate around the corner. Thanks for humoring me, and probably others too,

Robert aka TheFrisco

IMG_20191023_152012.jpg

I have the iFly740b for the GPS, and the SkyguardTWX for ADSB in/out plus WAAS GPS source.  I like how the iFly has VFR charts i can use for map. 

works great, and pretty cost efficient. 

my iPad links up to the sky guards WiFi signal if needed. 

E2313500-D4D8-4AAE-8B2D-5A473867A4C6.thumb.jpeg.fdd11ea02a0dc95c242d4a841b51ef45.jpeg

My center stack looks identical to Ben2k9, with the iFly GPS and Garmin radio/transponder.  I have a Garmin GDL-82 ADS-B solution behind the right side panel.  It's not the cheapest ADS-B, but not the most expensive either and dirt simple to install.  I did it myself in under four hours using a prefab wiring harness from Aircraft Spruce.

1 hour ago, Warmi said:

If just fly VFR , there is nothing these integrated ( and certified ) GPS offer over your basic 796 or so, especially if you already have SL 30 nav/com 

I remain confused in this topic despite much online reading ... Can I file an IFR plan in a CT?

5 hours ago, TheFrisco said:

I remain confused in this topic despite much online reading ... Can I file an IFR plan in a CT?

Yes, you can file an IFR flight plan in a CT provided you have the navigation equipment required for the flight, and have a current altimeter, static, and transponder checks performed. Depending on when the airplane was built you may or may not be legal to fly in IMC. Personally I would not fly a CT in IMC regardless of the legality. 

27 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Yes, you can file an IFR flight plan in a CT provided you have the navigation equipment required for the flight, and have a current altimeter, static, and transponder checks performed. Depending on when the airplane was built you may or may not be legal to fly in IMC. Personally I would not fly a CT in IMC regardless of the legality. 

Tom do you know what the date/serial number cut off is for legally flying IMC?  Asking because my goal is to get my instrument rating and if I could do that in the CT without converting to E-LSA and fly IMC (to me IMC would be nothing more than the local marine layer we get on the coast during the summers) This plane would fit my mission for a lot longer that I thought. 

We have a bunch of coastal airports that are difficult to access in the summer due to the marine layer, fairly thin at about 1 to 200 feet on average.

20 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Tom - 3 questions ...

1. Can you determine by looking at my cockpit above if that's sufficient instruments? And yes I know checks are a separate story.
  2. If it's a 2008 CTLS, does that mean I can fly into IMC or not?
  3. Can I train and get my IFR check ride in my CTLS if above is covered?

Thanks Robert

11 minutes ago, TheFrisco said:

Tom - 3 questions ...

1. Can you determine by looking at my cockpit above if that's sufficient instruments? And yes I know checks are a separate story.
  2. If it's a 2008 CTLS, does that mean I can fly into IMC or not?
  3. Can I train and get my IFR check ride in my CTLS if above is covered?

Thanks Robert

The determination on the instruments needs to be made by the pilot base on the facilities available. I know of one 2008/9 CTLS with a Garmin 430 that was used as an IFR trainer, and they did fly it in IMC. You might check with Tim Busch at Iowa Flight Training about using the CT for IFR training. 

Regardless of whether you can fly in IMC or not the CTLS can be used for IFR flight training all the way up to and including the checkride. You just need to make sure it meets the minimum instrument requirements for IFR flight listed in 91.205.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:52 PM, Tom Baker said:

Personally I would not fly a CT in IMC regardless of the legality.

Tom - I agree 100%. In the Army I flew Huey helicopters IMC. No SAS, no autopilot but a two pilot operation. Partial panel was a true emergency but we practiced frequently and were proficient at it. Still, I would not fly my CTSW into IMC even if equipped. Train for IFR in VMC, yes. IMC, no. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.