Can you turn on your gopro from cockpit?

kentuckynet

I have a 7 black that can be turned on from the app, with the camera on a wing mount suction cup.  I mount a USB battery pack inside the wing, and drilled a small hole in the clear inspection cover to pass the charging cable though.  That way the camera can run for 5+ hours without the wireless connection killing the GoPro internal battery.  When the camera is not attached I cover the hole in the inspection cover with a small square of bolus tape.

BTW the GoPro brand suction cup is rated to 150mph+ and I have never had any issues with it, even when attached to the airplane for several hours.  It's rock solid for mounting.

USB battery packs are basically external batteries, or power banks - there are tons of them available on Amazon of various sizes and capacities - from additional 1 hour to 11 or more hours worth of continuous recording time.

I got myself this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RLPN3G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A356VIS4WOZJPN&psc=1 for my Go Pro 7 - it gives me something  like 10 hours of recording ....

You just attach it via a USB cable - the way it works is that the camera will start using the external power bank first, when it runs out of power it will switch to internal battery so your total recording time will be power bank capacity + internal battery capacity.

GoPro.thumb.jpg.c0cc69717f1fed7d129493b63d9f054b.jpg

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

How do you get inside the wing? Silly question perhaps. Is that even legal to do on a non Elsa without a mra?

The clear inspection cover in the middle underside of the wing.  I reached up in there and put a patch of heavy duty velcro inside, and stick the battery to it.  I used a step bit to drill a hole in the clear inspection cover large enough for the USB cable head to pass through.  When I'm not using the camera, I put a piece of bolus tape (or you could use clear scotch tape) over the hole in the cover.  This setup has worked for me for 4+ years.

Here's a video taken with that setup using my old GoPro at Lake Powell:   

You can get creative with camera placement too and use it to, for instance, critique your landings...

7 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

The clear inspection cover in the middle underside of the wing.  I reached up in there and put a patch of heavy duty velcro inside, and stick the battery to it.  I used a step bit to drill a hole in the clear inspection cover large enough for the USB cable head to pass through.  When I'm not using the camera, I put a piece of bolus tape (or you could use clear scotch tape) over the hole in the cover.  This setup has worked for me for 4+ years.

Here's a video taken with that setup using my old GoPro at Lake Powell:   

You can get creative with camera placement too and use it to, for instance, critique your landings...

How do you remove that cover? 

17 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Made it to the hangar today, 4 screws on my CTLS as well. I wonder if I can just get another cover from FDUSA and have one w/ the  hole for camera use and one without it. 

Probably, but it will cost you.  It's just a round piece of plexi/lexan, you could cut one yourself with the proper tool.  If you are going to swap them out every time you mount/dismount the camera, it's going to get annoying fast.  A piece of tape is cheap and easy to place & remove.

BTW, I can remove three screws, loosen the fourth, and pivot the cover out of the way for access. 

4 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Probably, but it will cost you.  It's just a round piece of plexi/lexan, you could cut one yourself with the proper tool.  If you are going to swap them out every time you mount/dismount the camera, it's going to get annoying fast.  A piece of tape is cheap and easy to place & remove.

BTW, I can remove three screws, loosen the fourth, and pivot the cover out of the way for access. 

I can't imagine as a certified I can cut a hole in my cover. My hope was that if I get a second cover I could use it one or two times and always quickly put it back to certified status if needed?

1 minute ago, Animosity2k said:

I can't imagine as a certified I can cut a hole in my cover. My hope was that if I get a second cover I could use it one or two times and always quickly put it back to certified status if needed?

It's an inspection cover and removable, and in no way structural...I could make a case that it's not actually part of the airframe.  I drilled mine way before I took the airplane E-LSA.  Sometimes you have to let common sense be your guide, and ask forgiveness later if it ever comes up. 

2 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

It's an inspection cover and removable, and in no way structural...I could make a case that it's not actually part of the airframe.  I drilled mine way before I took the airplane E-LSA.  Sometimes you have to let common sense be your guide, and ask forgiveness later if it ever comes up. 

Ok, I'll cut it, how wide did you make the hole? Any photos?

2 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

There are something that are simply do, don't ask, and don't tell. If anyone questions it just say I thought that was the way it is supposed to be.