Cabin Heat

Animosity2k

For those of you that do a lot of flying in the Winter, do you receive adequate cabin heat from the heater? I have a checkride I will be completing during 20-30* temps and have noticed when out practicing I am always shivering and the cabin heat doesn't seem to get as warm as I would expect. Any tips to get it better?

I was out today for an hour here in Michigan ~ 40 degrees.  The heater produces some decent heat, but can't make up for the loss around the upper cabin openings, it may be worth exploring how to seal those up a bit - but I like the idea of fresh air exchange for obvious reasons.  Personally I prefer to dress for the occasion, thin insulated undergarments, insulated thin gloves (have to remove one to manipulate touch screens, or keep the free right hand in your pocket), stocking hat on until right before I launch, etc.  And I rarely fly when it is under 20F, but not many of those days around.

On a similar topic, I installed the Reiff preheater system and am really impressed with it, plugged in about 5 hours before flying and engine + oil were nice and toasty, less time to warm up engine than the last 60 degree day I flew without the heat system.  This will make winter op's so much more enjoyable.

From 2011,

Roger Lee

• Master Star Fighter
  •  
  • Roger Lee
  • Members
  •  
  • 8,133 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Howdy All,

As you can see by my post it's the new year and I must be bored this morning. smile.gif

The weather is cold and time to talk about keeping warm in the cockpit. I can fly in 25F temps with only a pair of bluejeans (501's of course) and a short sleeve shirt. Here's how to maximize your cabin heating.

First you need to make sure that your cabin heat is opening all the way. This and air leaks is the major cause for you not getting a good heat delivery to the cabin. Pull the cowl off, pull the cabin heat knob all the way out and from the right side of the plane look and feel to see if the little diverter door to the cabin heat is opening all the way. If not adjust the cable a tad shorter. If your diverter door isn't opening all the way the cold air is mixing with the hot air and you are loosing a lot of heating capability. 

Second take some 2"- 3" wide clear plastic tape and tape over the holes up above your head in the cabin on both sides. I mean all the holes including where the wing pin handles are too. All these holes need to be sealed. Sealing only a few will only force cold air out of another hole. Make sure that you have the wing root gaps on the outside of the plane taped over with your white bolus tape , too. Most of us already have this done. 

If you don't already know many of your cabin doors do leak some air, some more than others, but either way they allow cold air in. Go to the hardware store and get some 3/8" soft weather strip foam (not the harder black rubber). Apply this to theedge all the way around each door up against the black door molding all ready there. Now that you have no cold air entering the cabin the heater works very well.

These few little procedures will keep you nice and toasty for the cold weather flying.

p.s.

If you want to take sealing the cabin one step further you can get a 2' square piece of 2" thick soft foam and cut it out to the shape that fits right behind each seat that is open to the baggage compartment and fill/seal this area off, too..

On 11/2/2019 at 2:52 PM, AGLyme said:

Old CT trick: put clear tape over the 2 aeirelon linkage  Access holes.  The glass cockpit radiates much heat in on a sunny day.  
someday I’ll be able  to spell aerolon

I did that when I ferried it back from California and remembered today after a chilly flight! Someone here was selling 3d printed covers if I recall that covered the linkage holes and the other two smaller holes... I need to find that thread.