what is a night flight option ?

driver

I see it advertised more than once "Night VFR option"  what is included with this option? Could not find it on the FD website, only has it as an option. I was also told they are all "Night certified" and its the pilot not the aircraft that determines it.

The Night option goes back to the early days. ASTM requirements on equipment for night operations is a little more stringent than those spelled out in the FAA regulations. For example you have to have a landing light. You also have to have a attitude instrument of some type. For the analog equipped airplane this meant a ADI or similar. For the Dynon equipped airplane it required a back up battery for the display. I would have to dig for some old 2006 price sheets for more details.

I think most of the airplanes since the introduction of the CTLS have had the required equipment as part of the standard package. 

2 minutes ago, driver said:

thanks tom.... let me ask it this way.... On the FD website the night flight option is $3200.00  what extra items are you getting? I'm not sure you need a landing light legally, only for commercial operations i think.

Since our aircraft are not built to FAA standards, they need to be built to a standard that is acceptable to the FAA. So far ASTM is the only standard that the FAA has found acceptable. While you are correct that the landing light is not required under CFR 91.205, the airplane must also have all of the equipment that is required to meet the ASTM standard. I think the landing light is required per ASTM. 

Looking at the standard equipment list I suspect the package includes the landing light, position/anti collision lights, lighting for the backup instruments, lighting for the fuel sight tubes, cockpit light, and back up batteries for the D700.