07 CTSW Yet Another Flap Thread

CTSW Bob

Hello all, and thank you for your time.  I’ve read through as many flap threads as I can on this forum, but I haven’t found one that represents my issue.  

It is the following:

When I try and put my flaps in the -6 (USA model) the flaps go all the way down to 40.  The other positions work as they should (0, 15, 30, 40).  But -6 results in full down deployment every time.

My guess is a limit switch or the reporting position switch for the flaps.  I’m guessing all of that is in the baggage area, but I haven’t started looking as I came here first.  

Your ideas and help are appreciated,

Bob

Well, not much luck on here.  The limit switches test fine.  I tried the re-programming route and it will not go into programming mode.  I can use the jumper pins to manually control the flaps full up (-6) all the way to full down at 40.  So, physically, the plane is capable of it.  I can also turn the selector knob switch full up so the display reads "- - -" and it will go -6.  But, when I put the selector at -6, and the display shows "-6," they go to 40.  Seems like a computer or potentiometer error?  Wish I had more to go on for values I should be seeing versus taking an educated guess at an expensive part.

Bob

The potentiometers fail a lot. They're an inexpensive part to replace.

If you know how, you can check voltage drop across the potentiometer terminals and determine if there's a bad spot.

It's possible it has rotated and now misreads. That is possible.

The potentiometer should be rotationally positioned so that the extreme movement does not get near the 0 ohm or 10k ohm mark. Power supplied to it is either 5v or bus voltage, can't remember.

Happy day, happy day!  Woo hoo, hot damn, yippy, and all of that!  I talked to tech support at Flight Design and went over everything I've stated above.  The computer I have is stamped "Servo Controller 5.0" and is different from the info and schematics I have in my maintenance manual and what I've found online.  Thanks to the tech, I was able to reprogram my -6 flap setting and all is well!  Here is what I learned - If you number the 4 pins for plugging in the harness 1 to 4, with 4 being closest to the digital display, you do the following:

1.  All power off

2.  Jumper pin # 2 & 4 to enter programming mode

3.  Power on

4.  Manually move the flaps to the required position with the 3 wires with plugs on the harness as described in the manual.

5.  Set the selector knob to that setting - for example:  (-6 USA models, -12 European), 0, 15, 30, 40.

6. Trigger pin #3 for a second with the voltage from #2 & #4 (still keep 2 + 4 jumped)

7.  Repeat steps #4 - #6 until all positions are programmed.

** I only had to do the -6 degree setting as that was the only problem.  You do not have to re-do all the settings unless all of them are not working.

8.  Power off the plane.

9.  Remove all jumper wires & go fly :)

**This only works with version 5 and may not work with other versions, so call tech support to confirm as they are great and ready to help. 

Hopefully, I can help another CT'er out here.

Bob

20191109_145340[1].jpg

20191112_232246[1].png