Forward Slip Flap Limitations

Animosity2k

Being based at a short grass strip, I've been working forward slips in both 15* and 30* settings.  My observations here are to develop the technique slowly working towards more extreme cross controls as you develop the feel for it - this is so when you straighten back out clean the "correct attitude" is set up and you don't blow through the max airspeed white arc flaps extended.  On my check ride the examiner said "lost electric / no flaps, perform a forward slip to land", still remember that 20 years later.

The topic of limitations on slips with flaps is sort of a murky one.  My old C-150 prohibited forward slips with flaps extended, but it is normal to cross controls to land in a crosswind, which is "slip" condition.  My instructor commented on this not making sense, the airframe does not know the heading it's tracking over the ground, and these are both cross control inputs.

The CTLS slips fine at all flap settings, I do find that it has a slight tendency to "bobble" the nose with full flaps and a full left rudder slip so I would advise caution if you are doing that lower to the ground.  A common error we see in transition training is pushing the nose to far down while slipping as you would in say a Cherokee of Cessna, this leads to significant airspeed increase even with full flaps and remember the max flap speed with 30-35 flaps is limited to 62KIAS which is very low.  Slipping with 15 deg flaps is a great place to start and works well even with full rudder deflection in either direction, plus the Flap Vfe is higher.  Practice them up at altitude first by performing engine idle approaches at the various flap settings while adding slips in both directions.  This will enforce the sight picture of the pitch attitude to maintain a stabilized speed while slipping.