Let’s talk pre-heating

Ben2k9

23 minutes ago, sandpiper said:

At only two hundred watts is an insulated cowl cover needed? 

What aircraft is this mounted on?

Google it and you’ll read a lot of specs about it they’re great they’re totally safe you can put it in a fuel environment you can put it under the cowling and then wrap the cowling with a blanket that’s what you’re supposed to do. I’ve got it in my Aerotrek 240. I place it in the oil dipstick door down inside the engine compartment and then I wrap a blanket and it sits all the time on. 

This is the plane I replaced my CTSW with. The fit and finish is superb on this aircraft but not the complexity of the FD. 

C0CF5D7B-2C6B-4CB1-8324-14033A75B293.jpeg

0097E5F7-6B1A-4D72-BEB0-1CF9854D8A32.jpeg

0C04CBF7-A4C2-4CAC-8CB7-D09BCBE0F53A.jpeg

5CF21F7F-34B0-456F-998F-1A63D51381A0.jpeg

6332FFF3-07C5-49D7-9D03-91FD2CAA0042.jpeg

449A6A68-70B4-4DB3-B496-931DCFAE4780.jpeg

FD5656B7-F9B6-4C17-9CC9-837AB3BEB5FD.jpeg

1 hour ago, sandpiper said:

At only two hundred watts is an insulated cowl cover needed? 

What aircraft is this mounted on?

A fellow just bought one of these for his Maule. They say 48 hours to warm in up. I use 2 100w light bulbs, a couple small pillows, and a second hand comforter for my Warrior. This set up has worked for years. I also have a little 1500w under desk heater that I can drop in the cowling of the Warrior if it is cold and a bulb is burnt out. I also use the little heater for out Taylorcraft.

31 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

A fellow just bought one of these for his Maule. They say 48 hours to warm in up. I use 2 100w light bulbs, a couple small pillows, and a second hand comforter for my Warrior. This set up has worked for years. I also have a little 1500w under desk heater that I can drop in the cowling of the Warrior if it is cold and a bulb is burnt out. I also use the little heater for out Taylorcraft.

What attracted me to this was the safety aspect you can put it into the engine up against any material and be assured that you won’t burn or cause fires etc. I just stick it in the engine compartment not worried about it being up against any thing that could be damaged or cause a fire. 

I now live in Idaho Falls and my plane is in a non heated and non insulated hanger and it keeps the engine compartment nice and warm for the engine heats up to running temperatures quickly. 

23 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

I don't like the band around the oil tank. I have seen the carbon fiber holder for the oil tank scorched by the Reiff heating band.

The band around the tank is far better, IMO, than replacing engine bolts in the Tanis installation. Tanis has you remove bolts and replace with a bolt that incorporates a heating element. It is, in no way as strong as the bolt it replaced. They make a great product, but for the Rotax, REIFF or the Hornet are my choice. 

23 minutes ago, SlingPilot said:

The band around the tank is far better, IMO, than replacing engine bolts in the Tanis installation. Tanis has you remove bolts and replace with a bolt that incorporates a heating element. It is, in no way as strong as the bolt it replaced. They make a great product, but for the Rotax, REIFF or the Hornet are my choice. 

Not when it is scorching the resin in the carbon fiber mount that holds the oil tank.

The Reiff band may be okay for your installation, but for the CT where the tank sits in a carbon fiber cradle that goes slightly more than half way around the tank it is not so good. I have installed a couple Tanis heaters on Rotax engines. They have moved away from removing bolts as the primary installation method. In the two that I did, I only removed 2 bolts, and they were supporting the drip tray, with rubber isolation on both sides. Not exactly a high stress area.

1 hour ago, sandpiper said:

Nice looking aircraft Buckaroo!

Question. A mixture control on a 912??

Hey thanks a lot Mr. sandpiper! I was attracted to the fuel management set up on this with the header tank etc.! 

The manufacturer installed the enrichener control. I think it’s for cross-country flights etc. to set optimal mixture. I don’t use it! 

2 minutes ago, WmInce said:

That's a pretty little Aerotrek!

Having fun with it?  How's it fly compared to your CTSW? Any regrets on letting the CT go?

The Aerotrek is very light. Like I said the build quality is beautiful but the materials are ultra light compared to the CT. Much of the important structures are exterior making inspections and annuals simple. The main gear is strong and simple. Components of the front gear are all easily accessible. The interior room is similar to the CT with lots of head room and large baggage behind the seats. Flying her takes very little rudder and landing is straight forward. Speeds seem to be 120 mph indicated at 4850 plus feet. I’m running a 912 ULS and engine performance is similar to the CT. Flaps are manual and simple with very little affect on flying and handling in the pattern. Trim is next to the flap lever and totally manual and simple. 
Take off roll is 1/2 the distance than my CT was but I’m sure cruise is 5 mph less. 

Overall I am much more satisfied with the Aerotrek than the CT but I better be for $85,000 for this 2017 new model!😁

8 minutes ago, Buckaroo said:

The Aerotrek is very light. Like I said the build quality is beautiful but the materials are ultra light compared to the CT. Much of the important structures are exterior making inspections and annuals simple. The main gear is strong and simple. Components of the front gear are all easily accessible. The interior room is similar to the CT with lots of head room and large baggage behind the seats. Flying her takes very little rudder and landing is straight forward. Speeds seem to be 120 mph indicated at 4850 plus feet. I’m running a 912 ULS and engine performance is similar to the CT. Flaps are manual and simple with very little affect on flying and handling in the pattern. Trim is next to the flap lever and totally manual and simple. 
Take off roll is 1/2 the distance than my CT was but I’m sure cruise is 5 mph less. 
Overall I am much more satisfied with the Aerotrek than the CT but I better be for $85,000 for this 2017 new model!😁

Thanks Buckaroo.

Just now, WmInce said:

Thanks Buckaroo.

Yes sir! I would like to add that my CT was a brilliant plane that amazed me every time I flew her. She taught me better rudder control than any airplane I’ve ever flown. The Mercedes quality also amazed me and the fit and finish was beautiful. I will miss this CTSW but the fuel system overall needs drastic improvement! Otherwise I would have kept her. 

So I have a '12 CTLSi in Northeast Ohio. I flew it the other day in 30* temps. All I did was pull it out, start it and let it sit in idle till the temps hit 120* F then I began to taxi out. Is this poor starting practice? Do I need to have an engine heater? My annual is in two weeks and thinking if I will need one better to get it at this time and they can install it during the annual. 

On 11/11/2019 at 1:03 PM, AGLyme said:

I flew last winter in Connecticut... I merely plugged in the battery charger that came with the plane.  The Rotax starts right up 

This is what I did the other day and just made sure not to taxi till engine oil temp was up to 120... Anything wrong with this process? 

Well, snowmobiles don't have a similar gearbox between the motor and the drive train.  I guess the gearbox is the weak link in the temperature chain.  It is a good argument for pre-heating.  My pal who has an Arrow turns his pre-heater on and off using his cell phone.  I'll speak with him and see how to get that going this winter.  Thanks Tom.

My friend “Andy E” from Chester CT airport uses the “HangarBot” app to turn on his Engine heater, lights, his hangar security and the hangar door... very cool.  Contact “kendra@hangarbot.com” if you are interested.  

Buck is correct... Re how it works.  

His heater is off the shelf.  Get in touch with HangarBot they will tell you how, what and how much.  It was pretty cool watching his hangar door open as we pulled up the other day.