Coolant Level Low , Small puddle on drip pan

Animosity2k

So I moved my airplane into my new hangar over the weekend and noticed a small puddle of orange looking liquid on the drip pan. I took a look into where the coolant reservoir is and noticed it was at the very bottom line. Is it still safe to fly with it here? I cannot tell where the drip came from however I have an annual coming up and plan to ask them to check it out then. Anyone have any ideas? What type of coolant does a 912is use?

Coolant is DexCool, search that word, or coolant, and there is a lot of detail on topic.  Regarding the leak, I've seen a bit of that in my last 20 hours of hobbs time as new owner, with an eagle eye try to follow the path back to source, for me I had to snug up a couple clamps and back to no drips.  I'd top fill up the reservoir to upper line prior to flying, simple enough to add some back in.

Rubber actually expands when it gets colder! ... This occurs because of the unusual polymer structure of rubber. When the long chains get hotter and vibrate, they actually shorten, causing the material to contract. When the chains cool down, they relax and stretch out, causing the material to expand. 

Thus explaining why rubber hose connections are more prone to leaks in the winter.

Side note:

This is not 100% true for all rubbers, Some rubbers have specialized polymers that do not mimic this behavior. (Not sure if the Rotax rubber has these types of polymers.) But I'm sure it has something to do with What Tom said above, Couple this with the Expanding Rubber, and Contracting Aluminum nipples, Boom, Leak

I have a similar , very tiny - sometimes just a few droplets, coolant leak which only happens when it gets cold. I tried to find the culprit tightening clamps here and there but by the time it gets warmer it just disappears and then I manage to forget about it ...... I until it gets down to about 40 degrees and then the leak is back 🙂

I mean the thing is so tiny that it would probably take about 10 years or so for it to make a difference ..so I just tolerate it 🙂

37 minutes ago, okent said:

I just went through the same thing:  coolant level lower and drips on the floor.  Had to tighten a few clamps and all good.

To get to the clamps you tightened did you take the top and bottom cowling off or only top? Im so bad at working on things. It took me 45min to get my cowling off. Then an hour to get it back on. Then I wokeup realizing I had little to no coolant so I purchased a skinny funnel and some cooldex but now realize its not as simple to fill as untwisting the cap as that tubing is on it! I'm afraid once I take the tubing off the nipple in the lid of the coolant canister I'll never get it back on.

I took both off so I could check all the clamps.  Had my A&P with me.  There are two on the backside of the engine that take an extension and a knuckle socket to get to, not easy.  They just happened to be tight but he checked everything.(Retired F16 mechanic, he's awesome)

We could see the one that was leaking and it was definitely a little loose.  Did a runup the next day.  The day after still dry.

As long as you can find a place where it has been leaking just tighten what you can find and then check the next day.  Eventually you'll get them all snugged up😎.

2 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

That clear hose is pretty flexible. You can twist it to remove the cap, then wind it up to reinstall the cap. It's not ideal, but it will work.

I got two whole turns in and the cap still needed to be twisted. I was afraid of causing a small crack in the tubing and causing lack of "suction" I guess would be the right word. Your thinking no worries just keep twisting?

13 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

It is just a vent. There normally isn't even any fluid in the tube, in fact the older airplanes just had a small hole in the cap with no tube.

Well this is cool to know! Ill twist it up real good tomorrow ha! I just have a little bit of fluid in the tube. Just specks here and there. 

Haven't flown in about 3 weeks and went out today to plug up the Tanis heater for a noon flight.

Noticed coolant on the floor, reservoir is half empty.  Same place that leaked earlier has leaked again.  It got really cold last week so I guess that was enough to allow the leak again.

I'm considering just leaving the Tanis plugged in all winter.

• 2 weeks later...

My CTLSi has the same virus as above... little coolant drops on the bottom of the bottom cowling... I will check my clamps.  Note, didn't happen last winter.  

PS:  FD USA buys the official "BMW Motorcycle" (blue) coolant.  So, my coolant was purchased at the local BMW motorcycle dealer.  That makes it easy.