Fixing paint cracks

Animosity2k

13 hours ago, Tip said:

Does your filler neck weep fuel? It looks like a gas nozzle may have popped it loose. There have been filler necks & caps go missing in flight in the past.

I don't believe it leaks at all. I haven't noticed any leaking and if I tug on it in the wing it seems secure. I am not much of a handyman, can a A&P reset it flush if need be? Also, where would the proper place to go for the paint work to be? Do they have aircraft paint shops? Is that something fairly simple looking to fix?

On 11/11/2019 at 9:55 PM, Tip said:

More on gas caps.

Tip, today I was up at the hanger so I checked on the cap, it's not loose. It looks like perhaps the one on my PIC side wing may had come out and been glued in as I see more glue/epoxy around the red filler ring and the wing then on the other side. Now while I was cleaning the plane today I noticed some markings that ran from the fuel tank area of BOTH wings and then back towards the rear of the wing and the flaps. They were almost like streaks which IMO could have been fuel streaking back across the wing while in flight. They were both pretty much near the fuel cap area then worked backwards. However, I tugged on the filler necks when open and they won't pop loose. I also shut them and tried to wiggle an opening somewhere and couldn't. I'm thinking perhaps that streaking was just from some fuel dips that had splashed on wing when taking nozzle out or putting it in then worked there way back during flight.

I just noticed this thread.

For all that is holy, do not use a typical kit for a test like this. The wings have no structural considerations for positive pressures. Keep it as low as possible if you're going to do this.

Even 5psi is insanely high. That's five pounds per square inch. That's 720 pounds per square foot. I'd say there's a few square feet of surface area in the wing tanks so you're dealing with thousands of pounds of stress.

For a positive pressure test, you need a super sensitive gauge and keep it to fractions of a PSI.

Much like how avionics people test steam gauges, put a very tiny amount of pressure on the system, and just give it time to see if the pressure runs down as a way to check for leaking.

One of the ways I have seen metal tanks tested is to unroll a condom and place over the filler neck. Add just enough pressure to inflate the condom, then block the pressure source. If the condom stays inflated you are good. If it goes flat almost immediately you have a leak. If you try and put in to much pressure it will burst or blow off the filler neck.

I'm not sure how you would do this for a CT without modifying a fuel cap. 

3 hours ago, Anticept said:

I just noticed this thread.

For all that is holy, do not use a typical kit for a test like this. The wings have no structural considerations for positive pressures. Keep it as low as possible if you're going to do this.

Even 5psi is insanely high. That's five pounds per square inch. That's 720 pounds per square foot. I'd say there's a few square feet of surface area in the wing tanks so you're dealing with thousands of pounds of stress.

For a positive pressure test, you need a super sensitive gauge and keep it to fractions of a PSI.

Much like how avionics people test steam gauges, put a very tiny amount of pressure on the system, and just give it time to see if the pressure runs down as a way to check for leaking.

Man I wish you were still in the biz :) I may just try to mount a camera to my wing on the top and see if I an visually see any fuel coming out around the filler neck?

On 11/13/2019 at 8:16 PM, Tip said:

From my experience, if you have streaks, it’s leaking.

I flew my plane this morning and it is streaking fuel from the flange. I will have it fixed before I fly again. This is the sixth one that I have been involved in repairing in 4 different CTLSs. Do not put air pressure in the tank.  You can see in your picture the the flange has come up and brought the paint with it. Please read all of the posts that I copied and pasted above. 

3 hours ago, Tip said:

I flew my plane this morning and it is streaking fuel from the flange. I will have it fixed before I fly again. This is the sixth one that I have been involved in repairing in 4 different CTLSs. Do not put air pressure in the tank.  You can see in your picture the the flange has come up and brought the paint with it. Please read all of the posts that I copied and pasted above. 

Sent you a PM!

On 11/16/2019 at 12:30 PM, Tip said:

Tip, please check your private messages :)