Can't get XM subscription on 696

okent

I have made a few longer trips in my CTLS and thought it might be nice to have XM weather and music available.  I have ADS-B in and out but the weather can be patchy.

I tried to access the XM menu but can't seem to figure it out.

Anyone have this on their 696?

Thanks

I have XM radio to listen to music while I fly and love it...and I am a cheapskate.  Just a word of advice, when you sign up, tell them you want the service, but don't want to pay full price.  They almost always cut the price in half with little to no problems.

On 11/13/2019 at 5:00 PM, okent said:

I have made a few longer trips in my CTLS and thought it might be nice to have XM weather and music available.  I have ADS-B in and out but the weather can be patchy.

I tried to access the XM menu but can't seem to figure it out.

Anyone have this on their 696?

Thanks

Here's the manual for it... I think page 182.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/415573/Garmin-Gpsmap-696.html?page=198#manual

3 hours ago, Anticept said:

Personally, I would rather install a 978 ads-b out and use FIS-B and traffic than spend the money on an XM weather antenna.

XM weather requires a subscription anyways, FIS-B is free outside of install cost.

He already has ADS-B out and in with weather. He was looking to supplement the weather and possibly add music.

It's a GDL 82, 978 MHz, for out and GDL 39 3D for in.

I've been wrestling with adding XM for weather and music.  On my trip to Oshkosh and back the weather (FIS-B) was o.k. but not what I'd call fantastic.  Seemed to be times when it just wasn't available even though the coverage map show that it should be continuous at the altitudes I was flying. 

4 minutes ago, okent said:

I've been wrestling with adding XM for weather and music.  On my trip to Oshkosh and back the weather (FIS-B) was o.k. but not what I'd call fantastic.  Seemed to be times when it just wasn't available even though the coverage map show that it should be continuous at the altitudes I was flying. 

Do you fly with Foreflight as well? If you do, I'd connect to your ADS-B with it and see if it's showing you the weather any better. If it is, then it might be your Garmin. XM weather is good but there's still the 15 minute delay, so I wouldn't use it to thread the needle or anything plus it's super expensive for what it provides over ADS-B but that's just me. 

I use Garmin Pilot on a tablet with pretty good results. 

My expectations may just be too high for what the technology can provide.  I'm a fair weather flyer so I'm not ever picking my way through badness but I am a paranoid flyer!

It makes more sense to just stick with FIS-B but I'm always looking to have as much info as possible when I'm taking on risk.

I appreciate the input from everyone.  I don't have experience with XM so trying to see if it's even worth messing with.

When I spoke with the Gutmans at Airtime Aviation they didn't think it was worth it either.

2 hours ago, okent said:

I have exact same setup as yours, except with Garmin 796. I really like and use XM ( have the basic music package ) but I wouldn’t bother with their weather - it is ridiculously expensive ( compared to their XM service ) and frankly, as you mentioned, my goal is not to get into a situation where I would need real-time weather to survive in the first place ... basic ADSB IN is more than  enough for me to get what I need ( METARS etc )