Removal of Stock CTLS Nav Lights

I have been debating on switching out the nav lights with NAV/Stobe combination lights, and I think I have finally decided on what to replace the stock lights with.  I am going to go with something in the Aveo line (either https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/aveopowerburst.php?clickkey=5779 or https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/aveoultraembedded.php?clickkey=5779).  The question is, does anyone have a technique to remove the old nav lights that are installed.  I have removed the bolt, and attempted to remove the light, but am very hesitant to put in to much force.  I am assuming that the stock lights are not only held in place by the bolt, but also some type of adhesive (adhesive silicone perhaps)?  Any suggestions on removal?  Or is it basically just wiggle jiggle till they come loose?  Thanks in advance.

Garrett Gee

I just replace the white tail light on my CTLS. The install directions call for a thin layer of silicone in addition to the bolts. Twisting was easiest to get the OEM off.  Don't know about the wing tips but I imagine they use silicone as well. The white tail light/strobe was $200 from FDUSA, about $10 cheaper than Spruce for the same produce. That $723 a pair for wing tip lights from Spruce has me perplexed. Yikes! Is it really worth it to replace the wing tip strobes at that price???

46 minutes ago, MEH said:

I just replace the white tail light on my CTLS. The install directions call for a thin layer of silicone in addition to the bolts. Twisting was easiest to get the OEM off.  Don't know about the wing tips but I imagine they use silicone as well. The white tail light/strobe was $200 from FDUSA, about $10 cheaper than Spruce for the same produce. That $723 a pair for wing tip lights from Spruce has me perplexed. Yikes! Is it really worth it to replace the wing tip strobes at that price???

Worth it for me for two reasons: One of my lights is starting to fail, and I need to get it replaced, and I can also add strobes to the aircraft. I fly in a couple of high traffic areas, one of which has a lot of student training (and of which I am at an instructor at), and I think the strobes help with visibility. The company also seems to have a good reputation and good reviews, which in the long run, could save money over having to buy another set in 4-5 years.

50 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Yes they are glued inplace with silicone. I have used Kevlar thread before, but I have ha dbetter luck with a thin blabe putty knife. Work slow and careful.

Thanks for that. That is kind of what I figured. I’ll give the putty knife a try. I don’t mind working a little more aggressively with aluminum. I know composites are very strong, but I still get nervous working with it in any manner but very delicately.