Removing mogas stain

ls6pilot

I've had pretty good luck with rubbing alcohol cleaning the underside of my plane.  I do have a couple of brown stains from the fuel drain that I haven't been able to clean with it though.  It does work pretty good on the wing tip vent areas if you get to them pretty fast after flying.   Where are you located in SC?  I live in Myrtle Beach, but keep the plane in Marion, MAO.

My CTSW pal used Goof off on my CTLSi when the gas leaked onto the white fairing tape creating an impossible streaky mess.  Goof off worked perfectly without any damage.  Would suggest wetting a rag and then applying... However... try NOT to get onto the decorative Flight Design tape used for the accents... it will make the tape dull... 

On 11/25/2019 at 1:37 PM, Anticept said:

Please pay attention carefully to what Tom said about how he applies carb cleaner. Carb cleaner is STUPIDLY corrosive and strong. Don't spray it straight on the airplane, and don't soak your rag.

Also beware of brake cleaner.  Don't use brake cleaner on anything hot.  Brake cleaner will out-gas *extremely* toxic phosgene compounds at high temperatures, the kind that causes permanent and irreversible lung and metabolic damage, and can be fatal at concentrations as low as 4 parts per million.  Several welders have died by cleaning welding parts with brake cleaner.

https://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Also beware of brake cleaner.  Don't use brake cleaner on anything hot.  Brake cleaner will out-gas *extremely* toxic phosgene compounds at high temperatures, the kind that causes permanent and irreversible lung and metabolic damage, and can be fatal at concentrations as low as 4 parts per million.  Several welders have died by cleaning welding parts with brake cleaner.

https://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html

The Phosgene gas issue is caused by extreme heat when welding, and possibly also requires Argon gas in the mix. I don't think that there will be an issue with normal use on our airplanes.

Phosgene (COCl₂) is caused by extreme temperatures with chlorinated brake cleaner. Non chlorinated does not release phosgene.

If you don't know if a part has been washed with a chlorinated cleaner, don't weld it. I do not know what, or if, you can use to "dechorlinate" the part. It might just need to be dry, but phosgene is nothing to mess with.

• 10 months later...