Pre inspection

msoliday

Might be tough to tell if the leak is still active. Your nose should be pretty sensitive.  Could there be a leak from the tank itself????  Might try replacing the existing auto fuel with 100LL.  Has a different smell than auto fuel and is blue in color.  A couple of tanks of low lead won't hurt the engine.

On 11/23/2019 at 5:14 PM, MEH said:

Might be tough to tell if the leak is still active. Your nose should be pretty sensitive.  Could there be a leak from the tank itself????  Might try replacing the existing auto fuel with 100LL.  Has a different smell than auto fuel and is blue in color.  A couple of tanks of low lead won't hurt the engine.

thanks!

"Might try replacing the existing auto fuel with 100LL"

Actually a brilliant method of detecting a minor gas leak.  I noted a blue stain coming from the wing root/white tape.  I never could feel or smell gas.  But the blue steak doesn't lie...; )  I asked Flight Design to remove the wing and fix the leak and they did so promptly.  Leak fixed.

Please remember that fuel spills on the wing will run underneath and inboard. From there, it gets blown back from the prop airstream.

Don't chase down phantom fuel leaks. If you can't smell the fuel, ask someone else to try. Do you see any fuel streaks as well?

Clean up the fuel streaks and see if they come back.

Have you had rubber replaced in the past 5 years?

Chances are, if there is a fuel leak, you will easily find it, or it's so minor that you will be spending days trying to find it. Try to eliminate false positives first.