Oil change schedule when mix 91 and 100LL

Jim Ragain

I was a 100ll guy until smarter than me folks on this site (And Roger Lee) pointed out the operating benefits of Auto (I use 93 now).

The rule of thumb is apply the ratio of 100ll vs auto gas against the recommended hourly oil change intervals in your POH.  Here is the schedule I follow:

100% auto = 50 hours.  

100% 100ll = 25 hours.  

So if you burn 100ll @ 25 hours then change the oil, etc at 37 hours.

If you burn more than 30% 100LL you need to shorten you oil change intervals. The current manual shows 50 hours, the 100 hour option is no longer listed. They do have a note showing shorter intervals for leaded fuel, but don't provide a specific number. Personally I am a 25/50 hour guy. 

1 minute ago, Tom Baker said:

If you burn more than 30% 100LL you need to shorten you oil change intervals. The current Rotax guidance is less that 30% 100LL is a 100 hour oil change, more than 30% 100LL is 50 hours. Personally I am more of a 25/50 hour guy. I think it is safer to use the bigger numbers if you are flying a lot, but for a 50 hour a year guy use the lower numbers.

Right.  I knew most here used 25/50 intervals, and I thought there were 50/100 factory intervals but nobody on here references them so I assumed I imagined it... :D

26 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Right.  I knew most here used 25/50 intervals, and I thought there were 50/100 factory intervals but nobody on here references them so I assumed I imagined it... :D

I went back and revised my post. Seems the current has changed to 50 hours, with a note about leaded fuel. The 100 hr number is no longer listed.