No cabin heat

Al Downs

Getting sick of freezing in our planes. We have 4 CTLS's and no heat in any. I have done all the sealing and lining up of heater parts that can be done. The heater simply does not work. I tried small fans on the duct to try bring in some heat. It just doesn't produce any heat. Has anyone tried a small 12 volt heater? How long would one last on a battery? Thinking of putting a battery in a bag and running a heater off of that. Could something  like this last 1.5 hours? I don't think it would be wise to connect to ship battery so a portable battery would be used.

There is no doubt that will work. I have a gyroplane with that type of heat and it gets so hot you can't keep it on. The problem is I contacted Flight Design and they won't give an MRA to do it. I use them for training so I can't take them to experimental. If I could I would install a system immediately. My only option is something portable.

I've been searching online and haven't been able to find a current link. It was years ago that I saw the cabin heater that uses coolant in a Aircraft Spruce catalog. When I bought the WAC Vision I asked for it to be installed. They did so and still currently advertise it as available. The paper work on the plane doesn't list it separately so I don't have a manufacturers name. Sorry that's the best I can do at the moment without getting to the airport and trying to crawl under the panel.

Here is an article with a different approach:

www.zenith.aero/forum/topics/heatshield-products-heatshield-armor-exhaust-insulation

He insulated his muffler to keep heat inside. On a Jab 3300, but looks similar to the Rotax muffler. Although he did not insulate his header pipes, I would think that might help you if you haven't already done so.