Reiff Preheater Installed Pictures

GrassStripFlyBoy

In regards to the topic of how I routed wires and installed the items, the following pictures show more detail.  Be sure to not stress the wires too tight tension wise, but not leaving them loose to float around either.

Element on LH side of case

image.png.eb0fb708e3427222b18f6f868c796f3c.png

Secure wires to keep away from exhaust, I ran straight out over top center of muffler.

image.png.3109afa3e1fdade8e1fce358bdd2b890.png

Connect and position Y harness, tank heater, and temp sensor, then use the top most upper zip tie on the coolant tank line to set the location taking up the excess slack, as well as hold the Y harness leg away from rear exhaust down tube.

image.png.ea8ee048596cc40c1e54210175551876.png

Clean the tank bottom and engine case with acetone until paper towels show no residue, scotch brite, and again with acetone. 

image.thumb.png.fb21d4133625115e8cc5bbb72239acfa.png

Attach a clip on supplied power harness, I left this off the aircraft and plug into the white connector when needed. Ground clip goes to exhaust tip

image.thumb.png.ea3e0fe8d8c6cbc715f1d46c3e2eb9c9.png

Tool for removing exhaust springs, small loop goes on spring end.  Place a socket extension or such in the larger hole, pull as needed, works like a charm.

image.thumb.png.a0f596a57a6d21afd2627ed9547926ad.png

Not heater related, but it appears that you still have the original routing of the oil return line from the bottom of the crankcase. With the newer generation of oil line from Rotax being more prone to collapsing in tight radii I could see the original S turn of the return line being problematic. All of the airplanes I maintain have been converted to Flight Designs latest configuration. It requires an extra 90° fitting and a longer hose from the oil tank to the radiator. The longer line also requires a longer piece of fire sleeve.

I'll put that on the to do list, and take a closer look for risk in short term until I round up the materials.  I bought a standard category aircraft and converted to E-LSA to reduce risk of unknowns, but seems there are plenty of legacy updates to sort out as well.  Perhaps I'll fly over to you someday and have your eagle eye bang out a punch list.  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...