Transponder Issue when IDENT

Animosity2k

2012 CTLSi. Tonight when coming in ATC kept telling me they couldn't pull an altitude while I was IDENTing. I had an IDENT # displaying on the Dynon screen w/ the (R) which I assume means receiving. Must I push the ALT button AND the IDENT button both to ident altitude? I did this during my 3m Final and he said he picked it up, however I am not sure if that just happened to be a fluke or if I was incorrectly IDENTing my altitude the first time around by not hitting the ALT button. 

Thanks as always!

7 hours ago, KentWien said:

I bet it was a fluke. You shouldn't need to push two buttons — although I don’t have your setup. 

Kent, I was trying to IDENT for 25 minutes and he couldn't find my Altitude, it wasn't until I hit the ALT then hit IDENT 3m out on  my final that he finally picked up my altitude. I'll check on the Dynon forums too! 

I have not used your set up, but most transponders have 5 positions on the switch. #1- Off, #2-Stand by ( on but not sending signal), #3- On (for position but not altitude),#4 Altitude (for both position and altitude), and #5- Test. Pressing Ident will just make your reply show up brighter on the controller screen, with the on or altitude position selected. The transponder will not send altitude when it is in just the on position. It may be that you just had it on, and by finally pressing the altitude button you turned on the altitude reporting. When I had my airplane with the Garmin GTX327 I would have students turn it on by pressing the altitude button rather than the on button.

4 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

I have not used your set up, but most transponders have 5 positions on the switch. #1- Off, #2-Stand by ( on but not sending signal), #3- On (for position but not altitude),#4 Altitude (for both position and altitude), and #5- Test. Pressing Ident will just make your reply show up brighter on the controller screen, with the on or altitude position selected. The transponder will not send altitude when it is in just the on position. It may be that you just had it on, and by finally pressing the altitude button you turned on the altitude reporting. When I had my airplane with the Garmin GTX327 I would have students turn it on by pressing the altitude button rather than the on button.

Tom, that sounds like the case, that I was not reporting an ALT as I did not hit the ALT button. So let me ask you this, why would I have an "ON" button and an "IDENT" button then? Wouldn't the ON/IDENT button be the same? I have ON, STBY, VFR, SQUAWK, ALT, INDENT , not ncessarly in that order. 

On simply turns the unit on, and allows it to be interrogated for position. The ident button makes you show up a a bright spot on the controller screen to aid them in identifying your position more quickly. The altitude button allows the altitude information to be sent with the reply from your transponder when interrogated. If your altitude being sent from the transponder is wrong they might ask you to turn off altitude. If you have the ability to supply mode C altitude, then it should be used whenever you fly, unless ACT request that you turn it off. Start pressing that altitude button on the transponder for every flight.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:11 PM, Tom Baker said:

On simply turns the unit on, and allows it to be interrogated for position. The ident button makes you show up a a bright spot on the controller screen to aid them in identifying your position more quickly. The altitude button allows the altitude information to be sent with the reply from your transponder when interrogated. If your altitude being sent from the transponder is wrong they might ask you to turn off altitude. If you have the ability to supply mode C altitude, then it should be used whenever you fly, unless ACT request that you turn it off. Start pressing that altitude button on the transponder for every flight.

Thanks Tom! Great explanation.