AUX Input

Animosity2k

Got my bluetooth dongle as many recommended to plug into the AUX port so I can stream music from my iPAD to both people in the aircraft. Anyways, much to my dismay (or I am blind) I cannot find an AUX port anywhere on the center console? I see a toggle switch for GPS Audio / Aux Music but I do not see an actual AUX port. Am I blind?

Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone!

On 12/25/2019 at 4:53 AM, Anticept said:

It's either the the "mic" port or that RP port, I'm pretty sure of it.

So I talked to Arian and his response "Not sure why you have an AUX switch for music as you don't have the port" he suggested taking the cover off and see if there is the wiring for it behind it. Bummer I was so excited to use my new dongle to stream music and voice from foreflight on the ipad to both passengers headsets. Any other ideas?

The PM3000 intercom is capable of receiving music input, wiring info can be found here:  http://www.ps-engineering.com/docs/PM3000_IM.pdf

I'd suspect the harness will have wires attached.  An avionics shop would not need much time to add this in if you're not electrically savvy. 

Highlights from the manual diagrams:

image.png.74ecc764f6d38e20b66de0d40101444f.png

image.png.f82b75346c2bcdcd5c7818ccbda6943a.png

10 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Would this require anything from FD USA to install this aux input into a non E-lsa? 

The next question on your mind may be "can I do this as owner of the airplane"?  Maintenance type activities such as usual items of oil and tire changes are clear enough, but seems there is more grey area than black and white.  For these sort of things I'd discuss with the A&P I used, and every time he'd say go for it.  Having that cleared I was then technically working under his guidance which is authorized and now making this grey area very black and white.  So, the point here is find some buddy's around your airport, develop friendships with local mechanics, and just as you use this forum for advice and help, get plugged into some pal's around the home base.  

On 12/25/2019 at 3:53 AM, Anticept said:

It's either the the "mic" port or that RP port, I'm pretty sure of it.

Those are auxiliary plugs for a microphone and headset that bypasses the intercom directly into the radio. ASTM started requiring that around 2010 when they made a bunch of changes. What you thought was RP is HP for headphones.

1 hour ago, Animosity2k said:

Even if the wiring is there the port is the wrong size so I would need to swap that out. 

It is not that the ports are the wrong size, the 2 that are there serve a different purpose. With the switch in the GPS position do you get audio from the GPS such as altitude warnings (500 feet)? If you have an XM antenna you could test it by listening to their free promo channel. If you have audio from the GPS it is already wired to the intercom, then all you need is a 3.5 mm receptacle added and wired to the switch. 

13 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

It is not that the ports are the wrong size, the 2 that are there serve a different purpose. With the switch in the GPS position do you get audio from the GPS such as altitude warnings (500 feet)? If you have an XM antenna you could test it by listening to their free promo channel. If you have audio from the GPS it is already wired to the intercom, then all you need is a 3.5 mm receptacle added and wired to the switch. 

I just had a hernia surgery done yesterday. I will try to get to airport next week and listen.  I assume my local avionics shop could probably install this jack for less then $200? Maybe?

47 minutes ago, Animosity2k said:

I just had a hernia surgery done yesterday. I will try to get to airport next week and listen.  I assume my local avionics shop could probably install this jack for less then $200? Maybe?

Wiring and installing a 3.5 receptacle to the switch should take less than an hour. A quick look at the backside of the switch may indicate that it is already wired in, and the receptacle is located somewhere else in the airplane.

3 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Wiring and installing a 3.5 receptacle to the switch should take less than an hour. A quick look at the backside of the switch may indicate that it is already wired in, and the receptacle is located somewhere else in the airplane.

Tom is that area fairly easy to gain access to? It just appears to be 4 screws.

23 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Tom about to head up to the hangar (out from Hernia surgery so Im getting stir crazy) and I want to make sure I get this right, since I won't be flying and won't hear any altitudes or anything over GPS I can just flip to XM then? If I get XM preview channel sound then the wiring is good and I just need to connect up the smaller AUX jack somewhere?

1 hour ago, Tom Baker said:

Yes. You will need to pull the airplane outside to get a view of the sky for reception. I would also look around to see if they located it elsewhere. Check with the headset plugs on the hat shelf, along the center console, the rest of the panel, or next to the USB ports for updates.

I'll try again next week! Forgot they were working on the plane for me this week and the front wheel is up on a block as they're replacing my tube (got a flat a few days ago) as well as installing my reiff and I didn't want to go crawling around inside taking stuff apart. When you mention by the USB ports those are under the center console correct? I assume your talking about those ones by the throttle where I do my Dynon updates. I don't remember seeing a wire connected to an AUX port in there but I will look again!

• 2 weeks later...