Removing swirls in cockpit windshield

A more temporary method: lightly spay water on the windshield and clean with your hand, spray again and clean with a clean microfiber cloth, an old T-shirt, or similar soft cloth. Dry with a different, clean, soft cloth. Spay with Pledge or a good paste wax. wipe down with a different, clean, soft cloth. This should fill in the scratches making the swirl marks (almost?) invisible. You will probably have to reapply periodically. As you already know all this should be done with an up and down motion. Also NEVER use any paper towels on plastic. It will scratch. 

2 hours ago, BravoFoxtrot said:

A more temporary method: lightly spay water on the windshield and clean with your hand, spray again and clean with a clean microfiber cloth, an old T-shirt, or similar soft cloth. Dry with a different, clean, soft cloth. Spay with Pledge or a good paste wax. wipe down with a different, clean, soft cloth. This should fill in the scratches making the swirl marks (almost?) invisible. You will probably have to reapply periodically. As you already know all this should be done with an up and down motion. Also NEVER use any paper towels on plastic. It will scratch. 

like pledge for wood products?

1 hour ago, sandpiper said:

If you use Pledge, which I have used for over 40 years, make sure it is lemon as BravoFoxtrot says.

I don't know if they make regular Pledge in the brown can anymore but don't use it. It will cause a build up that is hard to remove. Ask me how I know.:bad_day-3329:

I find this so interesting. So I’m just cleaning the windshield with the lemon pledge that’s under my sink? Up and down movements and it what just fills the swirls then? How often do you apply? 

7 minutes ago, Animosity2k said:

I find this so interesting. So I’m just cleaning the windshield with the lemon pledge that’s under my sink? Up and down movements and it what just fills the swirls then? How often do you apply? 

Here is some photographic evidence for you 🙂 .. not the some plane but close enough ...

1EEE71E5-E98E-4739-AEAC-A13A8434BD7B.jpeg

5 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Corey will I need a rotary / orbital buffer? Looking at the kit on spruces site it implies I may? Also any tips for tiny cracks in the paint? Ways to stop them from spreading. 

It can be done by hand too. You should practice on junk plastic first.

It's like turtle wax's polishing compound, but has several stages even finer than that.

1 hour ago, Animosity2k said:

Yes. Furniture polish. If your plane is covered in dust you should wash it off first. No sense in pushing your luck!

I lived in Alaska most of my life and only the lucky few had hangars. I was not one of them. Cleaning my plane was always a constant battle. A product I found  that could be used on a fairly dirty windshield and not scratch it is Dri Wash'n Guard Waterless Car Wash and Protective Glaze. Also used it to clean the entire plane if I was ambitious. I don't know how it would work on your problem.

The flight school I work for uses Lemon Pledge exclusively. As cleaning the windscreen is a preflight checklist item, we train the students to clean the windscreen on every preflight, being sure to only rub linearly, from top-to-bottom-to-top and NO circular motion.  The Cherokee we use has over 6000 hours, which conservatively would mean 4000 windscreen cleanings with Lemon Pledge.  I will attest there are no swirls or light distortions at night.  Lemon Pledge works just fine and is cheap compared to Plexux or ClearView.

10 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

It is worth washing the micro fiber towels. Get more so you  don't have to wash as often, and have a fuller load. Also remember no fabric softener.

So if you wash w/ those TIDE Pods that have the fabric softner in them should I just switch to water or are those ok?