Dynon SV-GPS-2020 for GPS WAAS Source?

TheFrisco

Bought a 2008 CTLS with the tail beacon ADSB-Out so all is good but would like to use my GPS as an IFR source, IFR training that is. Can I put switch my current GPS antenna with the Dynon SV-GPS-2020 and I am good to go?

https://www.dynonavionics.com/includes/literature/SkyView_SV-GPS-2020_web.pdf

Thanks from TheNewbie working his way up to TheFrisco 🙂

No! If you have 10 inch sky view and dynon transponder “261” then all you need to do is add the 2020 antenna. I suspect you may not have the sky view and dynon transponder or the former owner would not have added a tail beacon ads. Still not good for IFR training without additional was GPS.

I think I’m most cases, to use the CT (at least with the skyview) for IFR training, you will need an IFR GPS. You could use a NAV radio, but only for VOR approaches, as most LOC/ILS require an ARINC 429 connection.  The skyview is not capable of flying approaches alone (ie loading an approach). In my case (experimental), I added a Garmin GNX 375, and linked it to the skyview via the dynon arinc-429 module. I now get LPV GPS approaches on the skyview. The garmin basically controls everything (flight plan, autopilot, CDI), and the skyview just displays it. I kept the skyview antenna though so it can be used as a secondary source if the Garmin fails.

1 hour ago, Duane Jefts said:

If you have 10 inch sky view and dynon transponder “261” then all you need to do is add the 2020 antenna. I suspect you may not have the sky view and dynon transponder or the former owner would not have added a tail beacon ads.

Exactly, no SkyView but a D100/120. So I am SOOL?

I’m not a pro, but have been investigating the options to get a capable IFR training platform out of my CT. All I’ve read point to a nav/com radio (limited to VOR navigation) and/or an IFR GPS, most common being the older Garmin 430.   There are lots of options out there, but all at a considerable cost. There is no “cheap” way to outfit for IFR navigation if you want/need to GPS. If I recall the GPS must be “certified for IFR navigation”. 

From what I understand I would have to install a buy/install a Nav/Com of some kind like the GPS 175.

It seems to do all that the older GNS 430/530's do plus more at the same price.

I have yet to see a HS34 pop up on the used market but they seem to be available for about $650.  I am assuming that the HS34 is required.

I have no idea what it would cost to get those installed but my rough guess is 5K for the instruments plus half that for install, so maybe 7500?

10 hours ago, okent said:

From what I understand I would have to install a buy/install a Nav/Com of some kind like the GPS 175.

It seems to do all that the older GNS 430/530's do plus more at the same price.

The GPS 175 is a GPS only unit, you can move up to the GNC 355 to add a Com radio, then the GTN 650 to get GPS, and Nav/Com radios.  

To get the functionality of the 430 in a new unit it would have to be the GTN 650 at more than double the price of the older 430 units.   

There are a lot of ways to get what's needed, many are going to run $4K to $6K in hardware, plus installation.

14 hours ago, Duane Jefts said:

If you have 10 inch sky view and dynon transponder “261” then all you need to do is add the 2020 antenna. I suspect you may not have the sky view and dynon transponder or the former owner would not have added a tail beacon ads.

I have the 10" Skyview with the Dynon 261 and 2020 Antenna but still cannot fly VOR/ILS am I missing something?

Lets see, if I was trying to add IFR (training, ie for fun) I would get the SL30 nav/com (used if possible) and a used Garmin 430 GPS, it's clunky but does real IFR. The D100 can display an HSI and I think can throw up an ILS indication as well. There may be some fine print on what's possible, but it would get you most of the way, on the cheap.

14 hours ago, Duane Jefts said:

Just on caveat to this ... after you install the 2020 Antenna, go into "set up" and select "SV-GPS-2020" as your "SERIAL IN DEVICE" (see image) for Port 5.

Then you must update your transponder firmware to version 2.6 or later (see image)

1A7ADF48-C2EF-46C4-B857-1527FDB6FB8A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.7d781ac341da4497134162512969062f.jpegAAD75FF2-5F11-46F7-8683-9F43A1A14287_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.0dae241205bf39b1d78a8bd756cb220b.jpeg 

14 hours ago, garrettgee2001 said:

I think I’m most cases, to use the CT (at least with the skyview) for IFR training, you will need an IFR GPS. You could use a NAV radio, but only for VOR approaches, as most LOC/ILS require an ARINC 429 connection.  The skyview is not capable of flying approaches alone (ie loading an approach). In my case (experimental), I added a Garmin GNX 375, and linked it to the skyview via the dynon arinc-429 module. I now get LPV GPS approaches on the skyview. The garmin basically controls everything (flight plan, autopilot, CDI), and the skyview just displays it. I kept the skyview antenna though so it can be used as a secondary source if the Garmin fails.

I believe the "key" word here is "training". When my son got his rating, he was allowed to use the CTLS, all the way up to, the CFI's "dress rehearsal" (around 3-hours), for his written recommendation for the check-ride.  For that "recommendation" and the check-ride, we needed to rent a IFR certified plane.