Cutting Panel

Animosity2k

I like the idea of the panel mount USB, but cutting into the panel (at least accurately) seems like to much work (plus the chance of messing up the cut).  I have a usb extension cable that connects to the Dynon Skyview and that is run behind the panel, and exits through a small hole in the mushroom in the foot well, basically at the door frame.  Kind of hard to describe, but the USB for the left display is near where the pilots left foot would be (but closer to the door frame), and the right display is near where the right foot would be.

4 hours ago, garrettgee2001 said:

I like the idea of the panel mount USB, but cutting into the panel (at least accurately) seems like to much work (plus the chance of messing up the cut).  I have a usb extension cable that connects to the Dynon Skyview and that is run behind the panel, and exits through a small hole in the mushroom in the foot well, basically at the door frame.  Kind of hard to describe, but the USB for the left display is near where the pilots left foot would be (but closer to the door frame), and the right display is near where the right foot would be.

Garrett, would you mind snipping a photo? Is this on a CTSLi or CTLS? I'm wondering if we have the same routing areas. So your cable also is not an extension of the cable in the center area by the throttle but instead directly into each screen is that correct?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, garrettgee2001 said:

I'll try to remember to grab a photo next time I am at the airport.  This is on a CTLS.  You are correct, I have one cable for each screen that plugs into the back, and then route behind the panel to the lower left and lower right foot well, with a hole drilled for the passthrough.

Ok so you did have to drill the hole, it wasn't already there? Does the heat diffuser melt anything?

11 minutes ago, Animosity2k said:

Going to guess since I am not in the E-LSA category that I cannot just go and cut a hole into the panel to pass the wire through?

I would venture a guess and say probably not. I didn’t know if that hole was in all aircraft or not. Mine had it when I got it, so I assumed that it was standard. Apologies.

45 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

That hole is for the fuel supply lines. The CTLSi has a different fuel supply installation, and does not have those openings. I am thinking that I have seen at least one airplane with a port installed on the side of the mushroom for updating the Dynons.

Which would require an MRA to install correct?

1 hour ago, Animosity2k said:

Sounds good, on MRA topic, is the MRA for the LED landing light worth doing? All in I think the MRA and the bulb was like $100. 

If you want to operate with the landing light on day or night I think it is worth it. It is not a good illumination as the old bulb, but I would rather have the lower current draw.

4 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

If you want to operate with the landing light on day or night I think it is worth it. It is not a good illumination as the old bulb, but I would rather have the lower current draw.

I do operate with it on quite often, I like the idea of the less draw but was hoping it was atleast as bright. How much light would you say I am giving up?

3 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

I do operate with it on quite often, I like the idea of the less draw but was hoping it was atleast as bright. How much light would you say I am giving up?

Not really sure how to put it into a useable comparison. It is certainly not enough to not make the change IMO.

• 1 month later...

I installed a Grote flasher unit and new Arcolectric DPDT switch.  I switch steady "on" during taxi and then switch to "blink" after take off and during flight.  I worked with Arian for the MRA for this.  Installed Whelen strobes at same time.  I'm pretty visable during flight, which for me is daylight.  Very little current draw with all on.

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 5:15 AM, Runtoeat said:

I installed a Grote flasher unit and new Arcolectric DPDT switch.  I switch steady "on" during taxi and then switch to "blink" after take off and during flight.  I worked with Arian for the MRA for this.  Installed Whelen strobes at same time.  I'm pretty visable during flight, which for me is daylight.  Very little current draw with all on.

I’m looking at doing the same thing with my CTLS,, would you happen to have the model number for the flasher and part number for the DPDT switch (or the MRA #)? Was the switch a direct replacement?    I really like the idea of being more visible....Thought I’d ask before going out and trying to recreate the wheel...

I'll answer as just this last week I asked Dick this question, Grote 44010.  Switch number was not mentioned, so long as appropriate for current draw of application any will work.  I had a local MI based CTLS (also at YIP with Dick) land in my strip last Monday, first thing I noticed when on final was landing light flashing and very noticeable - thought to put that on the list of things to do.  I took a video of departure, shows the flashing well - maybe I'll post that to YouTube and link as later edit here.