"No GPS" on TruTrack

TheFrisco

2 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Also check the correct information stream out from the GPS. If you haven't already, start by downloading the manual for the AP. It should have the settings you need there.

What's weird is that the data goes correctly into the HS34 and then to the D100, just not to the AP. Isn't the AP connected to the Dynon bus?

1 hour ago, TheFrisco said:

What's weird is that the data goes correctly into the HS34 and then to the D100, just not to the AP. Isn't the AP connected to the Dynon bus?

The TT AP would not be connected to the Dynon bus. The ones I have worked on were both fed by a 396 or 496, and the blue wire from the GPS needed to go to the AP for GPS tracking. The same blue wire also fed frequencies from the GPS to the SL40, and GPS data to the D100.

3 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

The TT AP would not be connected to the Dynon bus. The ones I have worked on were both fed by a 396 or 496, and the blue wire from the GPS needed to go to the AP for GPS tracking. The same blue wire also fed frequencies from the GPS to the SL40, and GPS data to the D100.

So the 1 blue GPS TX wire is spliced to many devices and their RX pins? Anything different with the HS34 or that only connects it to the DSAB bus?

Thanks so much for your help,

Robert

MYSTERY SOLVED ... BAUD RATE IN HS34 WRONG & NEEDED 9600

After days of tracing wires, or shall I say trying to trace wires and hunting for wiring diagrams, it turns out it was "just a setting" in the Dynon D100 for the HS34 ... yeah the baud rate needed to be adjusted to 9600 and VOILA ALL WORKED.

The pictures below did finally guide me on the right track ... Why would "NMEA Out" only work and not "NMEA & VHF Out"? The description then showed that the second even in "Normal" mode sent it at 9600 baud.

So off to D100 --> Setup --> HSI changing baud to 9600 and both TruTrak AutoPilot & Nav/Com SL30 got GPS & frequency data. And I felt stupid for tracing wires for 2 days when all it was a 5 min button push.

Thanks @Tom Baker, @Tip, @okent, @johnnyjr, @Eric for all your thoughts and input!!!

IMG_20200126_174803_2.jpg

IMG_20200126_174939_2.jpg

Yay!

Question:  Will this now send GPS data to allow for LPV approaches?  

I keep kicking around the idea of adding this to my CTLS(the same as Robert's) so I can train for IFR.

No plans to fly in IMC.

Airtime Aviation said I could add the HS34 and some type of nav/com but without a different GPS input like a GNS 430W I could only do VOR/ILS.

I really don't like the 430W.  Spoiled with the 696 screen size.

2 hours ago, SportFlyer1 said:

A careful reading of the 696 manual will show that you can select GPS approaches down to the FAF, but Garmin really doesn't want people flying IFR with their 'portable' unit.

Great to know, thanks. And GARMIN SUCKS, not because their products are bad, they are actually great but they are bloodsuckers with updates, upgrades and prices, or so it seems to me. #VentingOver 😉

On 1/29/2020 at 2:04 PM, okent said:

Yay!

Question:  Will this now send GPS data to allow for LPV approaches?  

I keep kicking around the idea of adding this to my CTLS(the same as Robert's) so I can train for IFR.

No plans to fly in IMC.

Airtime Aviation said I could add the HS34 and some type of nav/com but without a different GPS input like a GNS 430W I could only do VOR/ILS.

I really don't like the 430W.  Spoiled with the 696 screen size.

Everyone I talked to tells me that I can train with my SL30 VOR and do my hours in it but for my checkride, I need a certified plane. Still going to ask my PPL checkride guy "Centerline Bob" what his final word is ... Asking never hurts 🙂