GPS Wire Bundle Deciphering & Diagram

TheFrisco

I replaced my 496 with a 696 & GDL39 combo ... Nice setup, except I haven't gotten it all to work yet, no GPS on TT (other post) and no VHF frequency to SL30. And there are 2 mystery wires left over where the GPS/antenna is connected ... HELP PLEASE!!!

I got it all wired according to the attached pic, but there are 2 wires I don't know what to do with. Anyone has a color coded wiring diagram of the GPS connection in the CTLS please?

02_Garmin_GDL-39_3D_to_Garmin_696_Display_and_CRUZ_S-LSA_Avionics.thumb.JPG.7b6f9ff6661ec92c2068e9e21e1b84fe.jpeg

Robert, some clarification is needed.

- what wires do you have left over?

- did you wire the input to the AP and radio via the orange wire from the GDL39?

- are you getting GPS signal to any other instruments (EFIS fo example)

- did you go into the 696 menu and configure the output as NEMEA +VHF (I think this is the setting name)

If you picked up the pic you posted from the scflier forum thread and executed all the steps as they set them out it should all function.  I wired my GDL39 in a few months ago and just 2 weeks back went back for my panel upgrade/clean up and re-did almost all the wires behind the panel.  I can tell you if the diagram above was followed and the configuration done in the GPS it should work.  The only thing I can think of is wiring the radio and AP inputs via the HS34 might be the issue.  If you want you can try to connect the input for the HS34, radio and AP all to the orange wire instead of running the radio and AP through the HS34.  I do not have the HS34, so all the input devices share the orange wire connection (for me it's the TT AP, Dynon EFIS).  Also make sure you grounded out the white/orange striped wire.

hope this helps, 

56 minutes ago, johnnyjr said:

Robert, some clarification is needed.

- what wires do you have left over?

- did you wire the input to the AP and radio via the orange wire from the GDL39?

- are you getting GPS signal to any other instruments (EFIS fo example)

- did you go into the 696 menu and configure the output as NEMEA +VHF (I think this is the setting name)

If you picked up the pic you posted from the scflier forum thread and executed all the steps as they set them out it should all function.  I wired my GDL39 in a few months ago and just 2 weeks back went back for my panel upgrade/clean up and re-did almost all the wires behind the panel.  I can tell you if the diagram above was followed and the configuration done in the GPS it should work.  The only thing I can think of is wiring the radio and AP inputs via the HS34 might be the issue.  If you want you can try to connect the input for the HS34, radio and AP all to the orange wire instead of running the radio and AP through the HS34.  I do not have the HS34, so all the input devices share the orange wire connection (for me it's the TT AP, Dynon EFIS).  Also make sure you grounded out the white/orange striped wire.

hope this helps, 

WIRING

• Did pretty much exactly per diagram
  • The GDL30 orange wire TX goes to HS34 RX1
  • I had to switch the 696 interface setting to "NMEA Out" only for the 696 GPS data to flow to HS34
  • NOT CONNECTED is the wire that was originally connected to the 496 RX, not sure what data I would send back to 696

696WHAT WORKS

• GDL39 to 696
  • 696 GPS data to EFIS D100
  • SL30 to EFIS D100

WHAT DOESN'T WORK

• 696 GPS data to TT AP ... says "No GPS" but did that before with 496 as well
  • 696 frequency to SL30 ... never had that feature but really want it 🙂

Hope that's helpful, thanks for the detailed questions and suggestions,

Robert

No experience with the 696 or the HS34, but with the 496 the blue wire was the one that was needed to drive the AP, and send frequencies to the radio, plus send GPS data to the Dynon. If it was not hooked up they wouldn't get GPS data. I would guess that you need to slip off from the wire that is sending GPS data from the HS34 to the D100, but that is just a guess.

2 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

No experience with the 696 or the HS34, but with the 496 the blue wire was the one that was needed to drive the AP, and send frequencies to the radio, plus send GPS data to the Dynon. If it was not hooked up they wouldn't get GPS data. I would guess that you need to slip off from the wire that is sending GPS data from the HS34 to the D100, but that is just a guess.

What do you mean by "slip off"?

Thanks will look at that,

Robert

The wire Tom is talking about from the 696 is now used to send data to the GDL39, the GDL then passes that data to any other item via it's orange wire. 

Also what does the SL30 send to the D100 that shows you it's working?  Just curios as I didnt know there was data flow, unless you mean the HSI.  If it's the HSI that is working with the SL30 that's great, but not it's not because of this communication wire we are discussing.

My suggestion is to do the following:

Instead of passing the signal through the HS34 to TT and SL30, try tying the SL30, TT and HS34 to the orange wire from the GDL39.  , you will need to switch the output in the GPS from NMEA Out to NMEA & VHF Out.

Try that and report back.  I've read on various forums about this setup and folks have ran this a couple ways, the method above seemed to return the desired result.

9 minutes ago, johnnyjr said:

The wire Tom is talking about from the 696 is now used to send data to the GDL39, the GDL then passes that data to any other item via it's orange wire. 

Also what does the SL30 send to the D100 that shows you it's working?  Just curios as I didnt know there was data flow, unless you mean the HSI.  If it's the HSI that is working with the SL30 that's great, but not it's not because of this communication wire we are discussing.

My suggestion is to do the following:

Instead of passing the signal through the HS34 to TT and SL30, try tying the SL30, TT and HS34 to the orange wire from the GDL39.  , you will need to switch the output in the GPS from NMEA Out to NMEA & VHF Out.

Try that and report back.  I've read on various forums about this setup and folks have ran this a couple ways, the method above seemed to return the desired result.

Yes I meant the HSI on the D100 is showing VOR data from the SL30.

I know where the RX wire is for the SL30 since I just replaced the whole serial cable. Guess I am going to go on the hunt for the RX wire in the TT now 😉

Thanks!!!

6 minutes ago, johnnyjr said:

Assuming your AP is wired like the TT Digiflight II you'll need to find pin 17, the primary serial input1020125139_ScreenShot2020-01-27at2_00_20PM.thumb.png.304d887d44a7a04b0e0d6dc14587d87d.png

That's awesome, super helpful. Any idea where that wire is running on the other end? DSUB? GPS wire bundle? HS34?

Guess I can unplug the TT plug and then do a continuity check/trace, just thought I ask if you'd know of top of head and save me an hour of tracing 😉

47 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Split! Must have been a brain fart.

Tom,

I can't find the original wire, and there is this brown mystery wire that was in the 496 bundle that I don't know what to do with.

1. Shall I just run a new set of TX to RX wires?
  2. What about the brown wire? I think its ground but I am not sure.

Any suggestions?

56 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Just so happens I have a brand new plug for a 496 here. The brown is labeled "Voice +", so that is the Bitch'n Betty wire.

So the brown cable coming out of the CT is a Voice+ cable ... Didn't see that coming, guess I'll wire it into the GPS + then?

Thanks Robert

MYSTERY SOLVED ... BAUD RATE IN HS34 WRONG - BROWN CABLE STILL MYSTERY

After days of tracing wires, or shall I say trying to trace wires and hunting for wiring diagrams, it turns out it was "just a setting" in the Dynon D100 for the HS34 ... yeah the baud rate needed to be adjusted to 9600 and VOILA ALL WORKED.

The pictures below did finally guide me on the right track ... Why would "NMEA Out" only work and not "NMEA & VHF Out"? The description then showed that the second even in "Normal" mode sent it at 9600 baud.

So off to D100 --> Setup --> HSI changing baud to 9600 and both TruTrak AutoPilot & Nav/Com SL30 got GPS & frequency data. And I felt stupid for tracing wires for 2 days when all it was a 5 min button push.

And the BROWN CABLE IS STILL A MYSTERY!!!

IMG_20200126_174803_2.jpg

IMG_20200126_174939_2.jpg