BRS Repack

FlyingMonkey

Something to be aware of...

A little more than two years ago, another member of the forum did the BRS repack + rocket replacement, and was charged about $2000 by BRS (excluding shipping).  I'm in the process of doing the same thing, but yesterday I paid an invoice to BRS for $3050 (excluding shipping).  This is almost a 52% increase, or over 25% *per year*.  I asked BRS about the steep price increase, and they basically shrugged and said "it costs what it costs".

So for those of you facing this work in the next few years, be prepared for a nasty shock as BRS in increasing prices rapidly.  It might be smart to do this early if it's coming up for you in 1-2 years, to basically get a 25% discount over what will probably be next year's price...

I sent in the canister for a new rocket and repack in late November and received them in early January. Cost $2625 including shipping.

What I question is why is it that the BRS is required equipment? Why can't the owner decide to service it or not. (Full disclosure I wouldn't own a plane without a BRS system.) The majority of GA planes are certified without.

I understand that FD choose to include them in the build, but why do they require that the owner maintain it? Or is it BRS that mandates that in order to sell the units to FD? It is after all a monopoly.

18 hours ago, NC Bill said:

I sent in the canister for a new rocket and repack in late November and received them in early January. Cost $2625 including shipping.

What I question is why is it that the BRS is required equipment? Why can't the owner decide to service it or not. (Full disclosure I wouldn't own a plane without a BRS system.) The majority of GA planes are certified without.

I understand that FD choose to include them in the build, but why do they require that the owner maintain it? Or is it BRS that mandates that in order to sell the units to FD? It is after all a monopoly.

BRS estimates my chute will be returned on 02/17, which would make the turnaround about 3 weeks.  We'll see.

The reasons for the equipment requirement is...because S-LSA.  Under the consensus standard the manufacturer can decide what is required equipment or not (beyond FAA requirements of course).  If you want to deviate from those requirements, the answer is to convert to E-LSA.  I did it and and actually went about six months beyond the repack date and was legal doing so.  But that's about as far as I'd want to stretch it.  I could not repack at all, or even remove the system from the airplane. 

But I would feel pretty silly as I fell screaming to my fiery demise with a wing separated from the airplane, knowing the BRS was collecting dust in the hangar.  As Bill Ince says, I consider the expense part of my life insurance premiums. 

An application via form FAA-8130-6 thru your local FSDO; current condition inspection and your mechanic's certification that all applicable AD's & aircraft safety directives have been complied with in accordance with FAR 91327(b)(3) & FAR 91.327(b)(4); and a signed and dated letter that all owner(s) wish to convert.  

On 2/15/2020 at 4:00 PM, Odowneyeng said:

Go experimental, install a GALAXY 5/560 like in Aeropilot L600 and save a barrel of money, I believe 10 years between repacks. Just a thought.

GRS does not have the same operational history of successful deployments as BRS does.  It's a good system, but not yet proven as good as BRS IMO.  You get what you pay for.

Plus, there is no engineering info on using a GRS in a CT.  Will the deployment forces be similar?  Will the rocket penetrate the deployment panel, and at the correct angle?  Will the bridles built into the CT work correctly with the GRS?  Who knows, and I don't want to be the guy to find out one way or another...

Well, GRS systems are not exactly new kids on the block having been in business for 30 years now.

I think the price difference come mainly from the fact that GRS is manufactured in Czechoslovakia, it is basically European answer to BRS products ... but I agree, I would always go with what the plane was designed for originally  - trying to switch to a different setup without solid engineering data backing it up ...would not worth the effort imho.

20 hours ago, Warmi said:

Well, GRS systems are not exactly new kids on the block having been in business for 30 years now.

I think the price difference come mainly from the fact that GRS is manufactured in Czechoslovakia, it is basically European answer to BRS products ... but I agree, I would always go with what the plane was designed for originally  - trying to switch to a different setup without solid engineering data backing it up ...would not worth the effort imho.

I was not knocking GRS, as I said it's a good system.  But there is a lot of data on the BRS website regarding operational deployments.  I don't see much similar data on the GRS website.  In fact, in the GRS video section there is one video of the well-known Pipestrel deployment, and *no* other information anywhere on the website regarding deployments.  From that website one gets the impression that they have a very limited number of operational deployments.  It may or may not be true, but how would we know?

EDIT:  I did find on the scrolling banner on the GRS site where they list 96 lives saved, vs. BRS claiming 422.  Of course this tells us nothing, we need event data and number of systems in the fleet.  I wish both websites had a comprehensive list of deployment events with outcomes and not just some vague "lives saved" number, but I have not been able to find that data.

• 1 month later...