Fuel Placard

Weather had me sticking to hanger flying this weekend, so made a few small steps toward setting up cockpit details.  Installed the Ram mount for Ipad, settled on location for Statux, small things that I've been kicking around "where do I really want to place this stuff"...

Most excitingly, I put the laser engraver to work burning a new fuel placard on painted aluminum.  For as nice as FD birds are, I can't stand the "cheap stickers" used for information around the cabin, my wing fuel level decals were not staying put and looked unsightly, so here's my twist on the graphic replicating the same scale, with some proper foam adhesive tape, and installed.

Wait to you see what I have planned for the panel project I'm drafting up, I'm starting that next. 

image.png.18c64ed8ddd8909c9171ff952889f7c4.png

Thanks, and I'm open to producing some - but not until I finish making a small indoor paint booth, as well as exploring using anodized aluminum in place of the painted design I've done here.  Still very much in R&D mode of the bigger panel project, will circle back when I'm more production ready.

As far as the mount, I'm using an iPad mini, considered next to panel, in front of panel, off windows with suction mount - all of the typical places.  The distance was not ideal, and to pull it closer then makes swinging leg over stick a gymnastics maneuver to not smack the mount, and stability can get shaky, I'm on grass.  Given I'm using a mini, I did not want it too far away, and wanted to limit obscuring view.  I settle on using my old Cessna yoke mount from ancient Lowrance Airmap I still have, with smallest arm, to the Ram tablet spring holder, hung off the cross tube.  This is the 'goldilocks' just right distance for viewing screen (my unaided vision is decent but degrading more each year), rock solid, only impedes a bit of view beyond the pillar structure, and allows me to keep eyes up in the action.  I also suspect the downward angle will work to avoid sun & glare off the screen, but that's a lesser factor.

image.png.a22a8f99ea323fedb2b86e70bba65200.pngimage.thumb.png.98aeeafed04f9767fa6729687ad3bc59.png

Vigo L7, they are about $200, it's a 20W laser with X & Y axis driven head.  USB connect to a PC, comes with software that is fairly straightforward but very poor instructions being a Chinese unit, sort of a software install project / debug game to get it running but not terrible if you have slightly above average PC skills.  Below is a pick of both the unit and the software.  Being each material is different, dialing in the optimum settings is usually a few minutes of setting experimenting.  I started with a 3W ~$100 hobby unit, proved out that would remove paint off aluminum, and then recently bought this L7 which is closer to an industrial quality machine, and the software is very slick regarding it plots location prior to burning with a weak laser to preview project, multiple centering and location options, and plenty of power for anything I'm playing with.  Artwork can be made in simple programs, (.bmp / .jpg / etc) or more advanced gcode and cad, and then brought into the software and scaled to size, or up / down.  I've been drawing in more precise software to scale, then snap an image as .jpg, then resize the image in the software. It works very slick.

image.png.bbe0f39f49c8bdace6dc650de466215f.pngimage.thumb.png.35cd7315f47da3775c29cb27e267a96b.png

regarding you iPad location, sounds like we both went through the same process and came to the same conclusion.  That location works great, easy to access and within line of site with your head out the window.   Fuel placard looks great, I would be interested in one once you get your setup ready, count me in.

Punch hard right rudder in a crazy side skid - no, ok seriously now, it's a mini that is 6" wide in the armor case, it's not much of an issue for me.  Especially coming out of my old C-150 comparatively.  A bit of head movement to right or left can see around it.  With that said, I certainly would not want anything larger here in this placement.

• 6 months later...