Extra log books

Animosity2k

Technically, any airframe logbook will work.  While I am still on my FD logbook, at work (where we have numerous Cessna and Diamond Aircraft), we have actually "rolled our own" logbooks for Airframe, Prop, and Engine.  We use regular printer paper that we have done up with lines for maintenance, which are inserted into a standard 3 ring binder.  As long as all of the required items are on each maintenance endorsement, there is no requirement to use the stock logbook, or any commercially available one at that.  Our FAA inspectors have no issues with our method, since it technically meets all requirements of the regs.

1 hour ago, garrettgee2001 said:

Technically, any airframe logbook will work.  While I am still on my FD logbook, at work (where we have numerous Cessna and Diamond Aircraft), we have actually "rolled our own" logbooks for Airframe, Prop, and Engine.  We use regular printer paper that we have done up with lines for maintenance, which are inserted into a standard 3 ring binder.  As long as all of the required items are on each maintenance endorsement, there is no requirement to use the stock logbook, or any commercially available one at that.  Our FAA inspectors have no issues with our method, since it technically meets all requirements of the regs.

Pilots have logbooks, aircraft have maintenance records. There is no FAA requirement for an aircraft to have a "logbook". A logbook is just a convenient way of keeping the aircraft records in order. Technically speaking you could keep your records on paper napkins stuffed in a Wal Mart bag. The FAA might frown on that, but nothing they could do. Something like this from Aircraft Spruce will work, https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/logs_ac2_asa.php?clickkey=7712 soft or hard cover, or this https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/bvpages/logs_ac3.php?clickkey=7712

You might check with your local FBO pilot shop as well.

1 hour ago, Anticept said:

Tom i want to put this out there: the requirement is that the logs must be in an easy to read order.

Written on napkins might work, but just stuffing them in a bag won't work, since there is no order to it.

The regulations state what records must be recorded, how long to keep the records, and that they must be transferred with the aircraft. Unless I missed it, nowhere does it say they must be in an easy to read order. I have seen some kept in logbooks that were not in an easy to read order.

Of course it makes sense to keep them in a logical order, it's just not required by regulation.

It's been a long time since I recall seeing it. It's not turning up in the regs themselves, so perhaps it was an AC (and thus not regulatory). I just know there was an important point about them needing to be sensible, if you toss a lump of papers on the inspectors desk there's some technicality about them being able to reject it.

Man that class was a looong time ago.