Ran Dynon GPS Update LOST ADSB

Animosity2k

So I had a message that the software version of one or more of my SV-GPS-2020 devices installed was out of date and was told to enter the GPS FIX STATUS menu and press load to begin the update process. I pulled the plane out of the hangar and ran and successfully completed the update. When done I noticed I had two errors pop up when I exited the setup menu. 

1) Position Source 1 FAIL
2)No ADS-B OUT : GPS LOST

I checked my ADS-B Status menu and it says
DEVICE: SV-ADSB-472

Any ideas? I'm based out of a towered airport and was supposed to fly somewhere for maintenance tomorrow but I feel pretty confident I no longer have ADSB IN/OUT capabilities... 

GPS Outdated.jpeg

adsb status gone.jpeg

after gps update bunch of big issues.jpeg

after gps update.jpeg

after gps update2.jpeg

I went back this morning to the hangar pulled the plane out and started it up. I checked my GPS screen and had all green and I think 10 connection points on the GPS. 

I went into the ADS-B Status screen and this time instead of STATUS:NOT FOUND. I had STATUS: NO SIGNAL.

I decided to take off and within 2 minutes I had an ADS-B out signal showing. On the ground I couldn't seem to get it (although I did see other aircraft on my ADS-B that were in the pattern above me). 

I'm thinking since I had the plane on for almost an hour with no power source during all my updates I may have lost enough power to power up the ADS-B device maybe? 

I did not check the ADS-B status page in the air but imagine it would have shown a signal....

I checked my flight on Flight Aware (N716JC) and I can see the entire flight so does that mean that my ADS-B was indeed working?
Thanks!

If this helps, here is link to that flight, non-flight plan filed flights are only available to subscribers so here's some pic's too.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N716JC

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N716JC/history/20200212/1722Z/KCGF/KLNN/tracklog

Looks like steady signal up to end of flight?  

image.png.f93ca283c34ec25d4d921bf82d5661a1.png

image.png.45cb708bebf2e8a9abf7b9b13f4f165f.png

image.thumb.png.c92cf724d5916ff61ecb34426da8a734.png

Looked at some of your other flights going into that area, might be poor signal region for low altitudes?  When I did my recent flight ADS-B check I flew it at ~ 5k for :30 minutes, and ensured I was in an area with decent coverage.  I've heard to come to a complete full stop on the runway to end the flight as well.

image.thumb.png.dc1e2468ddbaf77c030979cbc3da9923.png

2 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Looked at some of your other flights going into that area, might be poor signal region for low altitudes?  When I did my recent flight ADS-B check I flew it at ~ 5k for :30 minutes, and ensured I was in an area with decent coverage.  I've heard to come to a complete full stop on the runway to end the flight as well.

image.thumb.png.dc1e2468ddbaf77c030979cbc3da9923.png

Dwight, I am a subscriber and saw all of those photos as well and yes that looks like the flight didn't miss a beat. I had some people on the Dynon forums reply saying that my transmissions are actually perfect in the air, what I am missing on is ground to air communications. They said if my XPNDR was in ALT mode vs GND that could make all the difference. 

17 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Got my FAA report back and it doesn't appear to have passed... 

PAPR_20200212_A99322_420608321.pdf 198.65 kB · 8 downloads

Are you sure that's a "failed" report?  You only had errors on the "Air on Ground" element of the report...If you look at the user guide for the performance report:  https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRUsersGuide.pdf

You'll see the definition of "Air on Ground"

Air on Ground = Percent, total time, and max consecutive reports the FAA ground system received airborne formatted messages while the aircraft was on the ground.

Basically it seems that your ADS-B system *continued* to send airborne messages while on the ground.  That could be an issue with setting the flying speed of the airplane, or an altitude encoder problem.  Your ADS-B system seems to be working great, it just continues to work while ATC believes you to be on the ground. 

Do you by chance have a Garmin GTX 345 as your ADS-B unit?  Others have reported the same error with that unit, as well as some of the GTN units and the GDL88.  I found the following recommendations that have helped others get past this error at least well enough to pass the report: 

here are some steps to take on your next flight which will make sure the system is not transitioning this data incorrectly.

1.    Position the aircraft outside of any hangars with a clear view of the sky.
2.    Conduct a normal aircraft power on sequence by starting the engine(s) and avionics.
3.    Remain stationary until GPS position has been obtained and your ADS-B equipment indicates no faults or failures.
4.    Taxi at a normal taxi speed (no faster than a brisk walk).
5.    Depart the runway using a normal climb profile for your aircraft.
6.    Fly either a normal traffic pattern or straight-in approach to land. Fly a normal 3 degree glide path, or as close as possible given any obstacles on the approach path.
7.    Upon touchdown, decelerate in a straight line on the center of the runway, only turning off the runway after a normal taxi speed (no faster than a brisk walk) has been achieved.
8.    After exiting the runway, stop the aircraft for a period of at least 5 seconds before taxiing.
9.    Taxi to parking at a normal taxi speed (no faster than a brisk walk).
10.    Allow the aircraft to come to a complete stop for a period of at least 5 seconds before turning off avionics.

Good Luck!

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Are you sure that's a "failed" report?  You only had errors on the "Air on Ground" element of the report...If you look at the user guide for the performance report:  https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRUsersGuide.pdf

You'll see the definition of "Air on Ground"

Air on Ground = Percent, total time, and max consecutive reports the FAA ground system received airborne formatted messages while the aircraft was on the ground.

Basically it seems that your ADS-B system *continued* to send airborne messages while on the ground.  That could be an issue with setting the flying speed of the airplane, or an altitude encoder problem.  Your ADS-B system seems to be working great, it just continues to work while ATC believes you to be on the ground. 

Do you by chance have a Garmin GTX 345 as your ADS-B unit?  Others have reported the same error with that unit, as well as some of the GTN units and the GDL88.  I found the following recommendations that have helped others get past this error at least well enough to pass the report: 

here are some steps to take on your next flight which will make sure the system is not transitioning this data incorrectly.

1.    Position the aircraft outside of any hangars with a clear view of the sky.
2.    Conduct a normal aircraft power on sequence by starting the engine(s) and avionics.
3.    Remain stationary until GPS position has been obtained and your ADS-B equipment indicates no faults or failures.
4.    Taxi at a normal taxi speed (no faster than a brisk walk).
5.    Depart the runway using a normal climb profile for your aircraft.
6.    Fly either a normal traffic pattern or straight-in approach to land. Fly a normal 3 degree glide path, or as close as possible given any obstacles on the approach path.
7.    Upon touchdown, decelerate in a straight line on the center of the runway, only turning off the runway after a normal taxi speed (no faster than a brisk walk) has been achieved.
8.    After exiting the runway, stop the aircraft for a period of at least 5 seconds before taxiing.
9.    Taxi to parking at a normal taxi speed (no faster than a brisk walk).
10.    Allow the aircraft to come to a complete stop for a period of at least 5 seconds before turning off avionics.

Good Luck!

Planes has a SV-261 and a GPS-2020

5 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Still might be worth trying the above steps, they are easy.  I would bet there is a threshold speed set in the Dynon gear for the ADS-B to switch to ground mode that is set too high.

I dropped the plane off for an oil change and to get my spark plug and coil wires replaced due to corrosion. I'll try this as well as what Dynon recommended when I get the plane home.