Brand New CTLSi Owner

James Sneed

On behalf of many members welcome. In answer to your question find a good instructor with time in a CT. Read the book, the figures are pretty good. Instructors with no time in a CT will have you coming in too fast then floating forever in ground effect. These aircraft are surprisingly capable if handled well but like any lighty have little inertia. Another quirk is that CT's do not need much back stick in a turn because the fuselage is aerodynamically correct and will provide lift in a turn. It is a bit funny watching a high time Cessna / Piper driver in a steep turn they will always climb because of being used to pulling back in a turn. Most of all have fun. 

Greetings James, and welcome.  As you share, this forum has tremendous support and lessons learned by those before us, so searching here usually reveals a pile of info on the ownership front.  And I think owning going into this is a good move, once you're flying solo it sure is nice to fly some touch n go's whenever you want.  I jumped into ownership (Cessna) with zero time as well, and the CT is fine choice.  

On that note, my first advise is don't overlook the simple things.  For example, tire pressure - nobody will be keeping an eye on that for you in between the annual inspections, and tires have tendency to steadily loose pressure.  Being a student pilot will invariably have a few rougher landings, couple them with low tire pressure and that can be the first link in a very bad chain of events.  

Keep us posted on your milestones along the way.  You'll find some of the best people hang around airports & aviation, and this forum too!

2 hours ago, ct9000 said:

On behalf of many members welcome. In answer to your question find a good instructor with time in a CT. Read the book, the figures are pretty good. Instructors with no time in a CT will have you coming in too fast then floating forever in ground effect. These aircraft are surprisingly capable if handled well but like any lighty have little inertia. Another quirk is that CT's do not need much back stick in a turn because the fuselage is aerodynamically correct and will provide lift in a turn. It is a bit funny watching a high time Cessna / Piper driver in a steep turn they will always climb because of being used to pulling back in a turn. Most of all have fun. 

I found that transitioning pilots tend to climb one direction and dive the other because of the sight picture. 

3 hours ago, James Sneed said:

Recently got into the LSA market and worked with Tom Jr at Airtime for a used CTLSi. 

Just happy to have the resources of this forum as my wife and I plan on getting our pilot licenses in this plane. 

Any tips and tricks for both a first time CT owner and student pilot?

Good luck with your venture.

Great airplane choice.  You will love the visibility and gas mileage.  Your airport GA pals will slowly start to understand why you didn’t buy a 38 year old metal plane burning 9 gals an hour with $4,000 annuals.
figure about 10 hours before you start thinking “I’ve got this” on gusty days.  

We're close.  I'm based at KRVS and have a buddy in Choctaw so I'm in and out of the area all the time.

I'm trying to coordinate some type of regular flying thing once a month or so with the other owners around us.

Let me know if you will be headed this way, I'd love to see your plane.

Tom