Tulsa to Nashville

okent

Took my 1st long cross country with my wife in the CTLS this weekend. Flew from Tulsa to Nashville. Weather was good both ways just they had a headwind on the way back today. Interesting there was no covered parking or hangar space at Nashville so it was parked outside on the tarmac and was snowed on one day. Never got warm enough to make it all go away so when I got up to take off this morning it was covered with a light frost/snow. Had to go and get the ice like the big boys. Pretty interesting.

I know there's got to be a pic out there somewhere of 230C lined up behind 3 commercial jets getting deiced!

20200222_075403.jpg

20200222_075621.jpg

It took 10 gallons and they charged me $220.  I can't really complain as there was no way I should have taken off with the amount of ice/frost on the plane.

The lady at Atlantic FBO said that some private jets cost 2K so I had a ball park.

Seemed really reasonable.  My total cost for the trip was less than two first class tickets from Tulsa and back.

Edited to add that they told me the total gallons used and time required.  I guess it's a combination of the two as to what they charge.

The fluid was also heated/warm.

The private jet in front of me took over twice as much fluid and 3 times longer.

It looks like there are four different types, and at least two of them (I and IV) are for metal aircraft only.  Not sure why that is. I couldn’t find much on II and III. Probably not a big deal for one application, but given FD’s direction on cleaning fluids, I’m kind of particular about what I allow on my airplane. 

I had requested a heated hangar but nothing was available. (found out the morning I departed)

The fluid was listed as glycol, so maybe ethylene glycol.

I wondered if there was any risk to the aircraft but I had read where guys are carrying antifreeze and pouring it on their wings for frost.

I found this at https://aircrafticing.grc.nasa.gov/2_3_3_1.html

The website has a discussion of the four types and their applications. I haven’t found anything that says they’re not OK on composites, however the msds sheet for type I indicates that it’s on the alkaline side, is an eye irritant, etc.  Just food for thought.  

AA15A41D-7135-4EC8-9B4A-3747F800CAF9.jpeg

28 minutes ago, AGLyme said:

The 787 is half (painted) composites... all the new Biz jets and airlines have significant % external painted composites content... no diff from our CT's... 

Even though they are composite there is a difference in composite construction processes. The CT uses a foam core that is susceptible to degradation when expose to high Ph levels. There are CT's running around with wrinkled skins due to the foam material dissolving between the two layers of carbon fiber.  

I knew that alkaline can be an issue but just didn't know what the magic PH number is for our planes.

My google-fu isn't great but from what I can find the de-ice fluid is tested and should be have a PH of between 6 and 10.

So slightly acidic to basic.

5 minutes ago, okent said:

I knew that alkaline can be an issue but just didn't know what the magic PH number is for our planes.

My google-fu isn't great but from what I can find the de-ice fluid is tested and should be have a PH of between 6 and 10.

So slightly acidic to basic.

If you click on the MSDS that I posted, you can view the whole thing, and it shows the Ph on page 4. 

5 minutes ago, Andy A said:

I wonder how the composite materials used on the CTs compares to Cirrus?  A lot of Cirrus' planes have TKS systems.  Apparently they don't see an issue with it.

Good question. I couldn’t find anything on the internet to indicate that it’s a problem, but FD publications steer us away from other than Ph neutral products on the CT.