In flight adjustable prop.

Andy A

12 hours ago, Andy A said:

If I convert to ELSA, can in install an in flight adjustable prop? 

If you shift to Australia you can have constant speed prop and a turbo if you like, but then you would have to fly upside down🙃

21 hours ago, Andy A said:

What are my options for props that are approved by Flight Design?  I'd like to try one from E-Props. 

If you are SLSA I'd find a prop you like and then email Arian at Flight Design.  They probably don't have a blanket approval for any prop other than the Neuform, but I'm guessing they will issue you an MRA to install any reasonable prop as a one-off install.

They used to have a blanket MRA for Warpdrive props, but IIRC they pulled that because they determined the high weight of the prop gave inertial forces that could be hard on the engine gearbox.  I'd guess any lightweight composite prop would be approved, but you won't know until you ask...so definitely ask before you buy!

I'm trying to figure out which E-Prop and components I need for my 2014 CTLSi.  It looks like the model I need is the "3 Blade Rotax 912S Tractor" DURANDAL 100 range, shown here https://aircraft.e-props.fr/product_info.php?cPath=3_31_32&products_id=1.  

A few questions come up.

1.  Should I get the basic Carbon Fiber prop or get the one with Titanium leading edges?  

2.  My Neuform prop is 65", so I am assuming I should get an E-Prop in 65".

3.  Do I need an extended hub (spacer) to push the prop out past the cowing?

4.  What diameter spinner do I need?  Measured in mm?  

I spoke with Tom at FD earlier today and he said he would help me get it approved, but I need to submit the information prior to him for reveiw.

31 minutes ago, Andy A said:

I'm trying to figure out which E-Prop and components I need for my 2014 CTLSi.  It looks like the model I need is the "3 Blade Rotax 912S Tractor" DURANDAL 100 range, shown here https://aircraft.e-props.fr/product_info.php?cPath=3_31_32&products_id=1.  

A few questions come up.

1.  Should I get the basic Carbon Fiber prop or get the one with Titanium leading edges?  

I spoke with Tom at FD earlier today and he said he would help me get it approved, but I need to submit the information prior to him for reveiw.

I would always get metal edge protection when available, I had a screw go through my Neuform that put a nice gouge in the leading edge that would have barely scratched a metal edge.

65" is what the airplane is set up for, so that might be ideal.  Though the Sensenich is 68" and works well.  A bigger prop disc *might* give better performance, but it all depends on the pitch and airfoil cross section.  A larger disc reduces ground clearance by half the diameter difference (68" reduces ground clearance 1.5"), so there is a downside.

The hub fits on the backplate attached to the gearbox as part of the engine, it sould already have clearance.

Not sure about the spinner size, ask E-props.   I know they have put them on other 912 series engines.

2 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Sort of related to this topic, anyone replacing their Neuform - I may be interested in buying a blade (or two).  One of mine has some cosmetic issues, nothing serious but would consider picking up a spare as they come available. 

Can blades just be swapped out, or are they match-balanced at the factory?

7 hours ago, Andy A said:

A few questions come up.

1)  get the Titanium LE

2)  get the 170 cm [ 67'' ]

3)  kept spinner from Neuform 3 , used 30 mm spacer

4) yours is fine ,or get their SP250 cone like Madhatter

see previous post  mid second page

I'm not saying Madhatter's not getting a benefit from the e-prop, but the data he provided is incomplete.  We don't know the prop pitch set for each prop, or the aircraft weight on each flight -- if one is climbing at 5000rpm and the other at 5300rpm, I'd guess that one or more of the following is true:

1) The e-prop is pitched flatter than the Neuform.

2) The climb with the e-prop is shallower.

3) The aircraft weights are different.

Since the climb rate is higher on the e-prop *and* the rpm is MUCH higher, it's unlikely that aircraft climb is shallower, which excludes (2).  I am however skeptical that the e-prop could both increase climb 200fpm *and* increase climb rpm 300rpm.  That would mean if you pitched up to maintain 5000rpm in the climb with the e-prop, you'd be looking at 1500-1600fpm climb, which is just not going to happen in a CT with 100hp at any reasonable takeoff weight and atmosphere.

I'd therefore conclude the e-prop is probably pitched flatter than the Neuform was, and there are probably some other differences like aircraft weight in those comparison flights as well.  Again, I'm NOT saying there is no benefit to the e-prop.  I'm saying that the degree of change between the props in Madhatter's statement is out of proportion to physics.

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2020 at 3:16 PM, Tom Baker said:

I'm pretty sure the blades come as a matched set.

I have a set of 3 that I removed when I added Sensenich blades.  They have a little less than 1000 hours on them. They are from 860LS so they had gotten quite a good workout in the early years.  PM me if interested in one or more.

Danny