12 More Years

I got my new BRS rocket refueled and a the parachute canister/rocket assembly put back together over the weekend, I'm now just waiting for an extra set of hands to help put the system back in the airplane.  For anybody considering this maintenance, it's pretty easy and the instructions that come from BRS are very easy to follow. 

The only part that took me a minute to figure out was winding the metal key around the base of the rocket that locks the base together with the rocket body.  The kit comes with a fixture to put the rocket into a vise for the operation, but it's *way* too hard to turn by hand to wind the key into the groove.  The instructions say you can use a strap wrench, but the rubber strap wrench I have couldn't get a good grip and on the smooth anodized rocket body and just slid around.  Finally I wrapped a strip of grip tape around the body of the rocket and put the strap on that, and it worked perfectly.

I dropped the old rocket into the wash bucket in my hangar to destroy the fuel.  In a couple of days I'll take it out and rinse out the bucket.  The inert rocket will make a nice display piece on my desk at work.

20 minutes ago, Al Downs said:

Thanks. I knew we would get gouged. My biggest concern is the turn around time as both planes will be down until they are returned. I will ask them if there can be a quicker turn around but of course you can't get them on  the phone.

They are pretty responsive to email.

• 7 months later...