Spring on carburetor 912 ULS?

EB3

We're doing the annual on my Aerotrek A240 which has a 912 ULS. My mechanic noticed that the springs usually attached to the outside of the dual carbs are missing. I think these springs dampen vibration. I'm not sure how to order them since I don't know what they are. I can't find any info (maybe it's because I don't know what they're called).  Attached is a photo from the web with the spring in question circled in red.

Anyone?

A3D47696-875F-43E6-933A-1F9AB4D79C8A_1_201_a.jpeg

Speculating here...

...my assumption has been that those springs are there to keep the carbs from blowing out of their “spigots” in the event of a backfire.

1) What we usually call a backfire is more properly called an afterfire. A backfire is when the burning occurs in the intake, not in the exhaust. 

2) I had a Yamaha V-twin that on a couple of occasions backfired in a way to unseat the carb on that cylinder.

Anyway, that’s my guess. If anyone knows differently, I’m all ears.

It appears that the HMM shows the springs to help maintain a critical distance, this will keep the "suspension" of the carb at the proper distance, From what i gather it has to do with the carb possibly sagging(due to worn sockets/age/ect) and that would maintain float levels.

image.png.67055ecf4a7b2d00a82a702eb6ef5c57.png

Also this might be interesting:

all 912 uls engines have the carb support form the factory. 

image.png.651276cbde3d852f7474239d7f1190de.png

• 4 years later...