Flight Story

Slow day of posts... Here's something to get the party started. 

Me and county airport pal's flew to center of Michigan (Clare 48D airport) for lunch on Saturday, was 86nm hop from Y83 Sandusky where many of my friends hanger their birds.  On the flight back we left in this sequence:  First off Citabria 7ECA, then 172, Cherokee 160, and myself.  The first three departures were fairly close, about a minute or so apart.  I had to hang back a couple more to allow oil temp to reach min, then launched.  

Took about 10 minutes before I had visual on the 172 and Citabria, went by them in no time.  Citabria was showing 85k ground speed on ATS-B track, compared to my 111k, slight head wind component.  Took a while longer to pass the Cherokee but still had him well before the halfway mark, he mentioned it was throttled back some but would not hang with me even full power.  When I landed the Cherokee was entering pattern, I think he tried to reel me in and could not do it.  The 172 and Citabria were 10-15 minutes later.  I was in the ~5100+ RPM range, not pushing it to max cruise.  Flying these CT's is such a treat.  

A few years ago I passed a Beech Sierra. I took off right after him and figured he was gone as soon as the gear came up. Didn't happen. After leveling at 4500 MSL I asked if he was still on frequency and could I pull up on his left side. He was on frequency and asked "you mean you're keeping up with me?" To which I replied "no, I'm gonna pass you". He was amazed to say the least.

Now, for a CT to pass a Sierra with twice the horsepower and a folding gear is pretty amazing. But, keep in mind that the Sierra is a dog. It was meant to compete with the Piper Arrow and Cessna Cardinal RG but never could. Maybe his was the dog of all Sierras but I still felt pretty good!

I was passing a King Air 350 at great speed the other day.   Was pretty darn close - close enough to see the pilots face filled with shock and amazement.   Then all i heard was PULL UP PULL UP...........!!

lol - As you mentioned. Slow post days = sketchy humour

10 hours ago, Mike Koerner said:

I came up close behind a Cessna Citation once and had to ask the controller if I could deviate to the side to avoid the jet blast. He said that was fine... as long as I stayed within the marked boundaries of the taxiway.

Mike Koerner

:giggle-3307: