Trutrak lost GPS Signal

Ben2k9

Anyone have any ideas on this?  Was bringing home my new (to me) 2011 FDCT.  Has Dynon Skyview, Garmin 696, and Trutrak DigiPilot II autopilot.  Everything working fine, but an hour or so in to the flight I get a warning message on the Dynon saying a GPS has failed.  The AP of course loses the GPS signal (was flying on GPS mode with flight plan).  I land and reboot everything.  No more GPS warning message, however, the AP says "No GPS" and loses that functionality.  Any ideas?  I was fooling around in the settings on the Garmin 696 but not changing anything so I don't *think* I messed up a setting but it's possible. 

Where/when did this happen?  GPS interference testing has been going on at Ft. Bragg for the last several days. I got a “Terrain! Pull up!” message at 500’ AGL on base leg at Wallace, NC yesterday, which I’m blaming on that activity. Based upon the published affected area, it shouldn’t have been a problem at that altitude, but it’s the first time in 5 years that I’ve heard that. 

15 minutes ago, John Vance said:

Where/when did this happen?  GPS interference testing has been going on at Ft. Bragg for the last several days. I got a “Terrain! Pull up!” message at 500’ AGL on base leg at Wallace, NC yesterday, which I’m blaming on that activity. Based upon the published affected area, it shouldn’t have been a problem at that altitude, but it’s the first time in 5 years that I’ve heard that. 

I don't think that's GPS testing .... I get "Terrain. Pull Up !" on about 30% of my landings from Aera 796 ...

FYI - here’s the Notam.  The affected area is huge, and the flight path could have passed within 40 nm of Ft Bragg.

GPS testing is scheduled as follows and may result in unreliable or unavailable GPS signal.
A. Location: Centered at 350649N0792216W or the RDU VOR 221 degree radial at 54NM.
B. Datesandtimes(DatesandtimesarebasedonGMT(Z).): 23 – 27 MAR 20 DLY 1200Z – 2300Z
C. Duration: Each event may last the entire requested period.
D. NOTAM INFO: NAV GPS (FTBRNC GPS 20-27) (INCLUDING WAAS, GBAS, AND ADS-B) MAY NOT BE AVBL WI A 109NM RADIUS CENTERED AT 350649N0792216W (RDU221054) FL400-UNL,
110NM RADIUS AT FL250,
110NM RADIUS AT 10000FT, 85NM RADIUS AT 4000FT AGL, 26NM RADIUS AT 50FT AGL.

My 696 will occasionally boot up and reset the default settings for some reason.  This resets the serial interface back to "Garmin Transfer" instead of NMEA/Aviation out.  Take a look at that setting by pushing "menu" twice, then select "setup" and than "interface".

• 3 months later...