Autopilot and GPS approach

okent

This may have been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find any reference by searching.

I have a 696 and trutrack autopilot.  When flying to an airport I get an occasional popup message about the approach being available or something.

It is possible to load the GPS approach but can the autopilot fly this with GPS only?

I loading and flew a "direct to" flight plan with an activated approach yesterday.  I was at the designated final approach fix altitude and the plane lined up correctly on the runway.

It did not descend along the glide path.  Is there a way to make this happen?

I'd like to practice some approaches with autopilot if possible, NOT fly IFR.

Thanks

So the 696 has the ability to display approach charts and will load the Final approach fix and missed approach point of the selected approach but lacks the sequenced waypoint database that allows selection of the full approach "procedure" as an IFR GPS would allow to include initial, intermediate, and missed approach sequence.   Our work around for training is to build a flight plan of the listed waypoints of the RNAV approach and navigate thru it making the appropriate altitude step downs.  The Tru track can perform this navigation you will just have to control the vertical speed select and altitude hold as defined.  Of course this is only in VFR conditions.  Another option that can somewhat simulate an ILS (though not nearly as sensitive) is to setup a VNAV profile on the 696 to the desired airport.  It can be set to the airport elevation and at various vertical speeds, (400fpm) works well for a speed of 80KIAS on approach.  Once the VNAV is set you can set and hold the OBS selection to the airport inline with the approach runway.  The Tru track will navigate the new OBS selection and then you can set the Tru track vertical speed to -400 once the glideslope is intercepted, adjust vertical speed select to maintain the glideslope accordingly.  Again VFR only :)